no power can it be the transmission low fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

no power can it be the transmission low fluid

vipersinu2

Reaction score
City, State
The Big City of Orange City, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Navigator 450hp
my explorer 2003 xlt 4.0 sohc vin 8th letter k runs really well for the first 10 minutes smooth throttle and full power, then starts to lose power after warmed up and there is no check engine light, it's like the timing is getting thrown off. I put a timing light on the crank and the mark was about 1/2 to 5/8 of an inch before the timing mark (left of mark) when warmed up, and when I full throttle it goes about 1/4 inch past the timing mark (right of the mark)

Is this normal, where should the timing mark be?

I took the catalytic converters off and drove around with just the manifolds on the engine, still no difference. I thought the cat was clogged.

I tested fuel pressure 67 lbs

I unpluged the tps, and the cel does come on, so the light works.

I unpluged the mass air flow and it is at least driveable now.

I replaced the following parts, new engine 8th letter e 2000 mile on it,(transfered all orginal electrical parts from the 03 engine) harmonic balancer, plugs & wires, coil pack, mass air flow sensor, throttle position sensor, knock sensor, fuel filter, air filter, injectors and o-rings, pcv valve, egr sensor switch, cleaned egr and lubed, cleaned and lubed Idle control valve, cam shaft sensor, coolant sensor, intake gaskets with new bolts, degreased whole intake inside and out, ran truck with out catalytic converters.

can it be the transmisson retarding the timing if low on fluid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to eliminate any mechanical problems with the new engine, do a compression test after it starts loosing power. Just wondering if you loose compression after it warms up

I dropped the trans pan and drained 7 quarts out, and when I installed the enginge I put 2.5 quarts in the torque converter,

drove truck no difference, droped truck off at dealer to diagnosis. I am stumped.

And the problem was................... Autozones's mass air flow sensor did not set the computers correct timing, and I tried four sensors from autozone all no good,

the factory ford mass air flow fixed the problem, the tech even said if i buy the part from ford dealer that there will be no charge for the diagnosis (he even put 10 updates in the computer) or labor putting the mass air flow sensor on, Great deal in my book I went nuts for two months trying to figure this out.

Amazing. too many junk parts out of the box. Good to hear its fixed. Thanks for posting the fix.

Dealer did charge for diagnosis $95.00 and mass air flow sensor 220.00, bigger bill than I thought 315.00 plus tax. and problem still there, full throttle is going to 17 degrees after tdc and loss of power, all the ford techs were stumped and the the best they can do is send ford corporate an email for advice. great service gotta love it. :thumbdwn:

problem solved

2003 explorer spark plug (shorter) compared to 2010 ranger spark plug (longer)

picture.php?albumid=19882&pictureid=77005.jpg

My engine donor was from a 2010 ranger with the longer spark plugs. I installed a new set of spark plugs for a 2003 explorer which are shorter. I never noticed the difference in length. I Installed the orginal 2010 spark plugs and studdering went away, I put on 20 miles and all seems good

Back