No power to fuse 23 or 27 and no windows/wipers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No power to fuse 23 or 27 and no windows/wipers

zfinger

Reaction score
City, State
Poland Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT V8
1997 Explorer XLT V8 138k

My front and rear wipers, windows and dome lights dont work. I started by checking for blown fuses. Didnt find any. Then I purchased a new battery saver relay. Didnt fix it. I also swapped the relay into every possible spot in the box above the pedal. Did nothing.

I then tested for power at fuses 23(starter relay/anti-theft) and 27(all accesory lights) and found they arnt getting 12v. When is use a fused jumper wire off fuse 19 (ignition coil) to both fuse 23 and 27 the dome lights come on.

Possible things here: Does fuse 23 only get power when I turn the key to start it or should it have power with the truck running? And does fuse 27 get power while running or does the door pin effect it? Now if either of these circuits were bad wouldnt the fuse in my jumper wire blow? Can I assume all circuits are good?

Some of the relay tabs in the box above the pedal were getting 12v and one at the top wasnt. Is its power supplied right from the GEM module?

Am I down to the GEM module now? Is that all thats left? Are there any wires I can jump power to, to bypass the GEM module and get my windows and wipers back? I had to do this in my 240sx to get my taillights back.

HELP!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And when I jump 12V to the rear wiper fuse from the ignition coil fuse, the starter turns over.

And also with fuses 23 and 27 pulled the only tab that now turns on the dome light is the lower left. Also the only tab acting as a ground off a known 12v.

rather "jump" every where, you need to follow thru on your testing. Get your meter out and check things. First, as you have "figured", the battery saver relay is a "key" to things. You need to find out why it isn't operating. On my 96 drawings, it gets its power from fuse 7... check it with a meter. If there is power there, then you need to find out if you are getting a ground from your GEM causing to operate. If there is no ground there, the relay won't operate and your don't get power to your other areas. The GEM gets its "ideas" to operate the relay (or drop it) from various points which also have to be check.... but I would suggest you start here.

And is your battery fully charged?

:rolleyes:

The battery is new...

I think I'm down to the GEM module now. This thing is driving me nuts, its such a POS. This is the last Ford I'll own. The only thing I've owned worse then this ford was a kia.

If the left tab of fuse 27 acts as a ground and the other dont, then there must be a short in that wire correct?

Does the GEM module distribute its power as 12v or does it connect the circuits as a ground? I assume 12v.

The GEM does not "send" power anywhere. It detects power / grounds and "sends" grounds to operate relays. How are you "detecting" your grounds. IF fuse 27 has a "ground" on one side, it would cause it to blow or the corresponding protection up stream depending on what the "left side" is. Low resistance is not a ground as the circuits involved in a number of areas are coils which might have less than an ohm especially if there are two or three in parallel.

Well after tearing everything apart and finding nothing, I put it all back together and now the power locks on the drivers side dont work. Then a day later that speaker cut out, then the power mirrors.

So there must be a problem with the wires in the door jam. Wouldnt that blow fuses though?

It might be in the junction on the door where the wires connect from the door to the vehicle. Its the one that bolts from the top you might have a loose connection in there. Also I would pull the door panel and check voltages on the switches.

Back