No spark or ODBII port connection after motor swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No spark or ODBII port connection after motor swap

Thadigus

Reaction score
City, State
Goshen, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey guys, in June I created a thread for my problem and it just kind of died and I also feel that I didn't have enough knowledge about the problem. But now I know more and I'd like to figure this out this time.

I did a motor swap this summer, for my 2001 st and once I got the whole thing together it doesn't start. After further inspection I have come to the conclusion that I'm getting fuel (injectors are firing and getting their power so that must mean the computer is working) but I'm not getting spark. I hear all the time that that can be caused by cam and/or crank sensors not working but I've hooked up continuity testers to them and they seem to be fine (they fluctuate in resistance when the engine turns when I crank it) so I wanted to make sure they were okay so I figured I'd put a ODBII computer to the truck and read the digital tachometer that it produces directly from the computer. But when I plugged the ODBII computer in it doesn't connect. I always get a link error like the ECM isn't working. Which is odd because the injectors are getting power (I connected a test light to the ground on the battery and it shows they're lit up, so I know the ECM is giving them power but isn't willing to connect to the computer, that's my main issue. I know the ECM has power and is operating but I can't connect to it.

I also did the standard lay the spark plug against the block and I'm not getting spark but I think that has to do with the ECM as well. A local mechanic that is extremely reliable says that he thinks it has to do with a power delivery issue.

Any questions or suggestions are always welcome and a preemptive thank you to all who take their time to help!

... after deciding to tear into wires and all that I pulled the PCM out for laughs.... and I think I found my problem.... this may not solve the spark issue but I'm almost certain that it's the ODBII problem!

gb8zwF_8BB1XtYqZUbj5YzUJCphWShfKUaJPb12DFHQnjyBEZ4mAMrvtW8FnKlZGP7VDD-TkH2z0QAl7LveV4dhZvfg8gIxOfIIl-AVHAH-uwYau7hpfnispeFNxw4_LyUwNjYsGkNpxewWdgeetJ5uRJU1Eug_-szCd98nN6mVzIrj_0CbLlzwGTVLSsiLIx-rC1V1sRACT4DETtPa1LPT0f5hHlG0K-HWxFyvg0yu-FJGLN_STSYyLqhTy5ty9bGUuVbc0qE9QhREdlYkEQ4NuJjVUHjILTo-yVFLvxXiu3tuQWnjjfmPCfXgWJnEXjUYDMQZWojGdgILhNaEU-h-I4zD3p3kLwUb5gqCUyEE8OuKQXqG3qxK8LYZhlBJdfmGzUIpspPoQ5fJ_1y7cfkmNCuM_tWa8FcwD5dQMPu-RYtJkSoqDbQdNKlQ_6L7qh7N5DCaXT2uIpeyn1xoBnZ2iEevMlrcretq-Aaf0DAx3u3jDFBgF-7abe6rJFCpGHRxlWF6sscDZJ-mlEQdD9B3PMIif220-L2hsODNZkbukxfG-5E64XpPRWxICTjxxTUDIbLL9s_4fZm95BPDanNHgLTPIZVBrQnu0KdAqc-EgPPizqJF4yQ=w601-h1067-no

Yep that fixed it. Now I just need to work out some kinks in the system

Back