No start, 5.0 acts like its out of time. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No start, 5.0 acts like its out of time.

jasondelane

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Limited 5.0
Background - replaced 5.0 with junkyard motor two weeks ago. Ran fine until Tuesday. It has been running cold and I changed the thermostat to a 195 degree from the cheap 160 degree that was installed.

After installing the thermostat I cranked the engine and it started, but ran seriously rough with several misfires. I messed with it awhile and it just got worse until it wouldn't start at all. From my experience with distributor based systems, it really sounds like its out of time.

I replaced the wiring for the crank sensor since the plug was damaged. Still no start. There is good fuel pressure, spark on all cylinders, injector is pulsing, crank sensor tests pass, ect pass, TPS pass, and iat pass. The only thing I couldn't get to pass was the CAM sensor. I replaced the sensor on top with the or from my old motor. Still nothing. I tried backprobing the connector and I was able to get 13v power but no pulsing voltage. I may have been testing it wrong though. I tried all the pins to ground while turning the motor over.

Is it possible that the Synch has failed without damaging the actual sensor? I get oil pressure while cranking so it has to be spinning, right? Could the timing chain have jumped?

I'm beyond fed up with this truck and would love some help figuring this out. Thanks!

Solved. Harmonic balancer broke and spun on the crankshaft.

Back