No transmission dipstick on a 2010 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No transmission dipstick on a 2010 Explorer?

gnx547

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 GT
My friend has a 2010 Explorer and wants to replace the trans filter and fluid but I was looking under the hood and I do not see the transmission dipstick? So if there is no trans dipstick, where is the hole to put in the trans fluid? And how do I know if the fluid level is full and not low?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep, the bean counters got their way. Apparently there is a dipstick attached to the fill plug on the transmission itself. There is no excuse for not having provided a dipstick other than economics. They are so busy trying to fulfill Federal mandates that they have to cut corners somewhere.

The dipstick of old would give you the opportunity to inspect the condition of your fluid.

Can I add a dipstick and tube from a 98 Explorer? Will it work?

Can I add a dipstick and tube from a 98 Explorer? Will it work?

Not a clue. I have not had hands on. It'd be good to know if you could. Keep in mind that the V6 and V8 transmissions are different. Don't know how similar the cases are between the two nor how the V6 trans differs from earlier versions.

The lack of a dip stick was not about saving money, it was about keeping environmental contaminants out. A sealed system stays cleaner than one that has access points (dipstick) where dirt can enter the system. Also, somewhere around here someone has done a write up on how to add a dipstick using an aftermarket dipstick for a mustang I believe... maybe in the transmission section.

I have an aftermarket deep trans pan that came with a dipstick. I prefer it to the sealed system. I do a lot of towing, and I like to check the fluid often.

If I drop the trans pan, Will I be able to add fluid through the fill plug hole using a funnel? Is the hole big enough that a funnel will fit in?

How can I tell if the transmission is the 6R60, 6R80 or the 5R55S?

Back