No (zero) Compression Cylinder 1 & 3 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No (zero) Compression Cylinder 1 & 3

well.. good news and bad news. bad news is my engine on the 93 is most likely shot. i will have to take off the head and see what the problem is.

the good news is. today i picked up a 91 XLT with only 61K original miles on it and 1 owner!! it does need some work, but minor comparing to a rebuild. it needs new valve gaskets, the power windows and mirrors need to be replaced, maybe another seal or gasket here and there but nothing major.

Pretty excited about having two Ex's and not sure which one to build up. the 91 undercarriage is 10X's better than the 93. i am guessing that the 91 only has rear anti-lock and the 93 has full ABS?

thanks for the heads up here. this site really lets you measure twice and cut once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's cool! And yes you are right. RWABS only.

thanks man. pretty stoked. the idle is a bit rough and the codes came back for o2 and tps. (KOEO) 41 & 73. So i will replace them with the newer ones from my 93?

as far as an EGR Valve, it doesnt have one.. guess it must be a Jersey thing?

gonna flush out the sensors when i take it to my friends shop. I wish my Eddie wasnt so rusted, i would love to drop this engine in it..

Yep swap the parts and you should be good. I'm told that very late 93 and all of the 94 had EGR and a cam position sensor. The 91 will have one O2 sensor while the 93 likely has two.

yes, my 93 has two.. and they are *****es to get out. i couldnt get it out with a benzo torch and the sensor tool.. not that laying on your back while doing it give you much leverage.

do you know is my 93 seats can fit into a 91 XLT? is there electrical for it?

not sure about the seat wiring, physically they fit

cool i will look into it. a previous thread mentioned that they changed the floor plans post 91

Yeah? Could be, I had never heard that.

yeah at a crossroads as to which one to build up right now. thinking i am just going to take the head off the 93 and hopefully get lucky with a head gasket problem.

Pop it off and have a look. You can't drive it that way anyway.

well, took the head off. two exhaust valves were cracked. the pistons and cylinders still have the factory bore marks on them so i think i am good there. I am replacing the valves this week, but thinking that my injectors somehow are bad or not functioning correctly and made the valves and the pistons way too hot, allowing the valve heads to crack. i will be replacing the o-rings on the injectors and want to bench test them with a 9V battery. other than listening for the clicking when i pulse them, is there any definitive way to make certain they are firing correctly? and if not, should i just get two new ones or can i find a donor vehicle in the yard?
Thanks

34flmw8.jpg

well, here is the picture. this is a likely (sort of) occurrence for our trucks. mainly they just split in half or burn.. but not me. when i do something. i do it RIGHT and blew cracks off of them. probably enjoying life in the cat. right now.

for reference here. DaExplorer and his son hit the nail on the head.

I don't thing the injectors have anything to do with this. I would let that go and finish the cylinder head issue. How was the compression on the other side? Now would be the right time to fix it if you had issues there.
This was apparently a common issue with the early explorers, although I had only seen cracked ones. With the condition of yours, there would be no compression so it was like you had a four cylinder explorer.
I don't know what all is involved in rebuilding as the machine shop I had talked to wanted almost as much as a new one on E-bay. So I bought a new one.
I did look and found this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ad93e8df&vxp=mtr
$104.50 + 40 shipping.

Keep up the good work:thumbsup: and you should be back fishing soon.:D

thanks for the input. they look cracked though i think that could be burn too. there was compression on the other side but i am thinking of taking that head off just to see. I am going to clean it up and have a look with my untrained eye, But i think i can just replace the exhaust valves and be ok. any ideas as to why this is a common problem? or perhaps where i can start my investigation? in the meantime i found it was a good idea to pull the AC and evap core (it was cracked at the hose connection.) so I have a few projects going on. its raining here or i would already be at the u-pull-it...
anyway i have a 91 with 61K on it and it has a lot less rust. but its an XLT and I love the 93 EB (with only 85K on it). I will swap a few minor things and fix whats wrong with the XLT (power windows/mirrors, back wiper, valve gaskets, rad flush, plugs, wires, etc.,.,) and be looking to sell it. i guess. i really want both of them but my wife isnt really liking all the toys in the driveway and garage (and the amount of time i am spending out there...lol)
I did look at the new head - 140$ delivered isnt bad, but i am thinking i can just replace the two exhaust valves. they are cheap enough, but i am wondering if i can just pull a head from a dead Ex and take the good valves?

also- are all the valves the same size? are there different valves for each cylinder?

you guys are great!

You sure could just replace the valves as long as the seats are good. I would have that head checked for cracks/warping at the very least but as long as it's not warped or cracked you should be good to go.

I would lap the valves, and replace the other one that is still good just for peace of mind. You going to pull the other head and replace those exhaust valves too? If so have that head checked as well.

Thanks wood. Will do. Any ideas as to why this happens? I dont want a repeat.

Not sure about pulling the other head off yet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back