Noise from front right wheel (not wheel bearing?) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise from front right wheel (not wheel bearing?)

The noise as has been mentioned above it sounds like mudder tires on mine anyway. Hopefully I will get some quality time with it after work, I need to change a bunch of Vac lines as well.

Has anyone figured this out? My Explorer has had this same issue for about a year. It really has me baffled. The odd thing is the noise seems to come and go. This thread has been helpful though, I'm going to check all the u-joints to see if that helps.

I figured out my problem. After changeing radius arm bushings the noise was still there. As stated previously I changed bearings 7 months ago, following the proceedure in chiltons manual. The noise kinda gradually got worse several months after changeing bearings. So I rechecked the bearings and found 1 starting to fail. Replaced it and noise is gone. Several things could cause premature breakdown. Improper tourqe, and contamination to name a few. Well I know it was tourqed to spec. When I replaced the bearings the first time the orings were broke in several places on my mile marker manual locking hubs. I replaced them then and when rechecking the bearings found them broke again. I siliconed them this time being careful not to over apply. Hopefully this will keep it sealed up. Dont know whats breaking them or why they would would be loose as the wheel should keep things tight. Also does anyone know if theres a seal behind the knob that you turn to lock them in?

I wanted to add the noise seemed to come from the passenger side and the drivers side bearing was bad.. This might be noise transfer where the drivers side arm fastens to the passenger side frame rail.

Back