Noise from Rear, Not Wheel Bearing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Noise from Rear, Not Wheel Bearing

cgrady17

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
So I've got what I can only describe as a howling or dampened light grinding noise coming from my backend when moving (not just under acceleration). I recently had my rear passenger-side wheel bearing replaced and they said the driver-side was good so I don't think it's the wheel bearings. Plus, I can't get the sound to alleviate when making the car lean to either the left or right.

I'm thinking it may be rear differential. If anyone has any ideas of what it could be or how I could narrow it down, that would be great! Thank you in advance.

I'm in the same boat. I would describe what I hear almost exactly the same as you did. Ours has quite a bit more mileage though.
We bought it with 137 and is currently going on 164. I noticed a bit of a noise when we bought it, but I think it's gotten slightly worse.

I have pretty thorough records from Lincoln through about 100k. Never any mention of differential fluid replacement. So I'll probably do that and HOPE it improves the noise, although I don't think it will. Eventually I think it's going to need a rebuild if there's any chance of driving it another ~50k.

I'm in the same boat. I would describe what I hear almost exactly the same as you did. Ours has quite a bit more mileage though.
We bought it with 137 and is currently going on 164. I noticed a bit of a noise when we bought it, but I think it's gotten slightly worse.

I have pretty thorough records from Lincoln through about 100k. Never any mention of differential fluid replacement. So I'll probably do that and HOPE it improves the noise, although I don't think it will. Eventually I think it's going to need a rebuild if there's any chance of driving it another ~50k.

n2audio, did you end up doing a fluid exchange and, if so, did it help?

Yeah, I did the diff fluid. No clear improvement.
More time passed and eventually I WAS able to determine it was a wheel bearing. It became obvious when the sound was quieter on left turns.
The bearing was in pretty bad shape - siezed in place.
Now at 180k and rolling nicely.

Back