noise/rattle behind tachometer and speedomoter??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

noise/rattle behind tachometer and speedomoter???

rockey95

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
Folks, i've got a 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 and have owned it about 1 year now. Love the vehicle but have a question, every time i crank it up in the mornings there is a noise behind the dash and seems to come from behind the tachometer and speedometer, mostly behind the tach, not really sure how to explain the noise but it happens every time i crank the car and after a while it seems to go away. Almost as if something is running behind the console.
Could anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing that jumps to mind is that it is possibly a actuator on a blend door in the dash. I'm not aware of one behind the tach so this would mean you're off on where the sound is coming from. Try making sure your climate control is off before you start the vehicle and see if that changes anything.

i will make sure that i check that, i think i have had it off before but will for sure make it off when i start it up tomorrow.
thanks

Hi,
we were having the same problem with our 2007 Ironman, but gave up on it years ago. Sound is def. coming from behind the Speedo-/Tachometer. Sounds like a rocking chair on plastic floors, or a plastic chain pulled slowly through the dashboard. First I thought it was the dreaded rear timing chain rattling close to the firewall, but since it was not rev. related it had to be something else. One weekend I rode in a friends Nissan car, which does a self check of the dashes Speedo/Tachymeter cluster when u turn the ignition on, and it did the exact same thing. The noise sounded just the same. So I think it has to be some part in the cluster that causes the noise. Its been years in my Ex ever since, and everything is still working fine, so probably nothing to worry about.
Cheers,
Andre

i did notice this morning that it was growling again behind my speedometer/tach but noticed when i turned my temperature gauge from cold to hot it actually stopped then started again once i turned it back to cold, any ideas folks what this is?

I have the noise on my 07 sport trac from behind the tach area in the morning when its cold. Same thing as rockey95 when I turned the heat up the sound stopped but in my case it didn't come back when i turned it back to cold. I think it may be the blend door motor moving for some reason. Anybody know how to fix this?

Back