velkey

Reaction score
City, State
Europe, HU
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
He guys,

Greetings from Hungary/Luxembourg

I have a few questions about my explorer.

I had a transmission problem a 2 months ago, I took it to the official ford dealer/service in Germany. They completly rebuilt the car, the price was mad, they gave me 1 year warranty. I looked under the car and the colour of the tranny house is brand new metal colour so they might done a quality job.

But Im not familiar with trannies, this car is my first autotranny.

I have a few questions still those make me confused so Im waiting any kind of professional inputs/opinions

1. If the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd it pushes the car a bit, on the other shiftings You almost cannot feel the shiftings.

2. Sometimes but only sometimes ( maybe after a kick down ) shifts a bit harder.

3. the 4-5 shift happens about 90 km/h ( 56 MPH ) when sometimes I see the rpm jumps from 2000 to 2200-2300 then shifts to 5th gear.

These 3 questions are my confusions about the work of the garage, but maybe it is normal.

Second: I hear two kind of noises:

1. some kind of eletromachine sound ( know it sound now funny ) that becomes hugher with the growing rpm, but disappears above about 40 km/h

2. Chirping noise that is not permanent sometime I hear sometimes not, if I leave the throttle pedal in D still hear it or in reverse.

TYhanks men for the help

Mate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've moved your post into it's own thread. The other thread is about shift flare issues, and this thread is about shifting problems, and noises. Sometimes transfer case problems could appear to look like transmission problems.

I've moved your post into it's own thread. The other thread is about shift flare issues, and this thread is about shifting problems, and noises. Sometimes transfer case problems could appear to look like transmission problems.

Thanks!!

do you think the shifting methods what I mentioned are normal?

The shifts don't appear to be bad. The 5R55E actually has a certain amount of slippage which is part of the program of the PCM. When was the last time the filter & fluid were replaced?

The tranny has been completelty rebuilt 3 weeks ago. I suppose everything was changed perfectly, it was made by an official ford service in Germany. Im just getting crazy cause I had to pay the price of the car again.... I will have to take back to the service in a week to check the tranny again ( some routin check ).

Im sorry but I rebuilt it once in Hungary and they did not rebuild the tranny well so it died in Luxembourg suddenly with no reverse. So since that Im permanently afraid, that is why I asked these questions :)

and for me it is obvious to ask you as americans cause you have got more experiences with uto trannies

Back