• Register Today It's free!

Normal Gas Mileage?

xTOM153x

Reaction score
City, State
West Islip Long Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I have been getting 14 MPG overall highway/city combined with the 4.0L V6. The last couple of things I have done in the past 3,000 miles is new fuel filter, plugs, wires and cold air intake. I just wanted to know if this is normal with me driving with a light foot because it seems kind of low in my opinion for overall. I have also done a seafoam treatment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds about right maybe a little on the low side. I was getting 15.5 before I started playing games. Winter fuel can be a little rough on economy tho'.

I was getting 13.5 for about a year since I bought the truck put about 11k miles on it now did a seafoam treat about 3,000 miles ago all after I changed my fuel filter, plugs, wires and cold air intake and that brought me up to 14 and this is all while driving with a light foot.

You might try running some 93 oct through it, maybe a half tank of each combined. Could also be a carbon clean may help.

I have been getting 14 MPG overall highway/city combined with the 4.0L V6. The last couple of things I have done in the past 3,000 miles is new fuel filter, plugs, wires and cold air intake. I just wanted to know if this is normal with me driving with a light foot because it seems kind of low in my opinion for overall. I have also done a seafoam treatment.

May be about right for combined. What do you get average for on-highway? I hardly ever get outside 20-21 mpg, in Midwestern driving, little less here in AZ with big altitude changes to negotiate (4.0L SOHC 2004). imp

14 sounds low. my ohv gets 21 combined city/hwy. i get about 18 city. on the interstate runnin 80 (shhh, dont tell the fuzz) i get about 24. oh and i kinda got a heavy foot.

You might try running some 93 oct through it, maybe a half tank of each combined. Could also be a carbon clean may help.[/QUO

So mixing 93 octane and 87 half and half you think would help?

My last tank I got 23 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving.

There are too many factors in determining fuel economy. Driving habits, road conditions, different fuels for winter/summer and also different fuel blends for different regions of the country. Oxygenated fuels vs. non-oxygenated. Do you live in hill country or the plains? it all makes a difference. My v8 gets 22 MPG's on the hwy and only 12-14 in the city. I drive mostly in the city (Chicago), and the traffic here is aweful..

There are too many factors in determining fuel economy. Driving habits, road conditions, different fuels for winter/summer and also different fuel blends for different regions of the country. Oxygenated fuels vs. non-oxygenated. Do you live in hill country or the plains? it all makes a difference. My v8 gets 22 MPG's on the hwy and only 12-14 in the city. I drive mostly in the city (Chicago), and the traffic here is aweful..

....and tire type and size, vehicle height, stuff mounted to the exterior, and levels of vehicle maintanance, and speed (some people claim they get X mpgs on the highway- highway speeds and interstate speeds are generally very different and can be significant in terms of mpgs)........

And the hill country thing- I don't know if that really matters much. Sure you use more gas going up a hill compared to traveling that same distance on flat ground, but coming down the hill you can generally coast and not use any gas. Anytime I drive any of my cars in the mountains, that tank will always be 2-4 mpgs better than a normal tank. You'd think it would even out since I drove up the mountain just as high as I came down the mountain. So it seems that going up the mountain isn't as unefficient as coming down the mountain is efficient.

Agreed- way too many variables on fuel economy. Winter gas, tires, cold gear lube on short trips- literally everything is against you in the winter.

Putting in 93 octane in any amount will not do anything for you, don't waste the money.

My Ex went from averaging about 20 during early fall to 14 through the winter. You're spot on to what I was getting with my 2003 SOHC V6 with 40-60 hwy-city. It's just the nature of the beast.

I didnt think that 93 would give better fuel economy, just that it may help to clean the fuel delivery system. It was something I heard about a few years ago but was probably an urban legend put out by the oil companies. Has anyone else heard of the premium fuel myth?

Never heard of premium cleaning any better. The detergents should be the same; only the octane is changed. But you might want to try some different stations/gas. I've always had best luck with Chevron and Phillips 66.

I drive mostly in town, mostly flat. The road trip we took Saturday was all flat. (It IS Nebraska ya' know.) I think winter fuel blend has more impact than anything else around here, providing your driving methods are similar. My 5.0 Mustang was a solid 18.5 mpg during the summer and in October it would drop to 17 mpg like clockwork every winter for the last 5-6 years of ownership. Thats' about the same time they made changes in the winter blend ingredients, from what a buddy at the gas station told me.

I've bought my Explorer this last October so not sure what the summer vs. winter mileage is yet. Come spring, I'll expect I'll see a 5-7% increase in mileage.

I didnt think that 93 would give better fuel economy, just that it may help to clean the fuel delivery system. ...

In theory, anyhow, higher octane rated fuel burns more SLOWLY than lower octane fuel, thereby causing less spark "knock" tendency. However, burning SLOWER means, generally, lower peak combustion pressures, and therefore LOWER fuel economy. imp

I just got 16MPG with a combination of city/highway driving on my last tank. Like Joe Dirt said, all bets are off in the winter. When you are warming you Ex up in the driveway so it is nice and warm when you get in it, it's getting zero miles to the gallon!

In theory, anyhow, higher octane rated fuel burns more SLOWLY than lower octane fuel, thereby causing less spark "knock" tendency. However, burning SLOWER means, generally, lower peak combustion pressures, and therefore LOWER fuel economy. imp

Thanks imp!

I think the way it works is that higher octane does burn slower, but that the smart ECM is able to adjust spark timing further BTDC (without knocking) to take advantage of that; getting more work out of a cylinder-full of gas-air mixture. I also think that the ECM is able to lean-out the mixture by controlling the fuel pulse-width to the injectors; leaner than what can be done with lower-octane gas. That's why I'm sure most would agree that you get better mpg with higher octane gas (but it costs more per gal.)
jmho.

Might read HERE, as there was a good discussion rollin' there. :)

Ethanol additives in winter bland gas are killing right now. That's why some cheap gas from some stations sucks too- mileage drops due to Ethanol additives. Wal Mart gas stations are famous for it... 5 cents cheaper, and horrible fuel economy that ends up costing you more than just buying better regular grade gas.

Still- low compression engines = premium not needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great links there Joe. Very informative. Might be able to do a mythbusters style segment on tonights show?

Back