North CA run Nov 16th, 17th, and 18th! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

North CA run Nov 16th, 17th, and 18th!

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
North CA run Nov 16th,17th, and 18th!

Alrighty guys the "Herc Tour" is taking shape! Now let's plan for the next weekend after THaven. After the Nov 9th-11th TruckHaven run I plan to go north and visit Ray Lobato up in northern California for a local run the next weekend. Preliminary thoughts are for a Hollister Hills run Nov 17th and 18th but I've never been there so maybe there is a better option. The main point is to get a group of Explorers for a great run in the area the weekend before Thanksgiving.

Who could join Ray and me? Does anyone have an alternate trail suggestion, or is Hollister a good choice?

What a trip! The "Herc Tour" is now encompassing five runs in four states in a four week period. I'll be running with fellow Explorers at the Slabs in TX this weekend, Moab next weekend, somewhere with Rick on AZ trails the next week, then Truckhaven in CA that weekend, and now Hollister or somewhere north the weekend after that! Yippee! :bounce:

Com'n guys! I know you're jealous. So join in on the fun and participate. This is so great I am nearly jealous of myself!!! :smoke:

(previous quote courtesy of JGarrett;) )

Last edited by a moderator:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like a blast. Wish I could go truk is broken though. Another thought is that same weekend at lake almador there is a rock crwaling compition going on. I will more then likely be there checking out the rigs competing. The web site for it is www.calrocs.com Also May want to think about running swamp lake trail outside of Fresno. Supose to be harder then the rubicon from what I have heard. Just another thought. I haven't driven that trail but walked about half mile and it looked defenentlly doable. Some tight turns but looks possible. Keep me informed on your trip I may be able to mmet up with you on your way around. Ray is like an hour north of me.

Matt

If it's in Hollister on Nov. 17 & 18, I'd be in for at least one day. I'm sure I can get a one day pass from the wife and kid for some play time.

FYI - the Five Fingers Hill climb is closed for restoration. No opening date set. I think the tough truck competition tore it up pretty good. But the park staff say the obstacle course is back to normal though. The tank trap and the mini rubicon are still as tough as ever if anyone wants to attempt them.

Last edited:

Hey Soupbone,
Frank Raines sounds pretty good and it's still close to the Bay Area. Does anyone know if you can get there if you go over Mount Hamilton. I think mount Hamilton road will put you out near Patterson somewhere. What do you say guys, how about Frank Raines Park?
come on, you'll get to see Herc in person and we'll be giving out free pony rides for the kid and free washers and dryers, so come on out the El Monty Slims open 24 hours a day, no cover charge anytime.

There are three ways to get to frank raines:

1) Patterson exit on I-5 - This is the fastest of all three.

2) Mines road in Livermore - meets the road from Mt. Hamilton, and the road from patterson. Curvey, twisty, slow (great for a motorcycle)

3) Mt. Hamilton road - goat trail at points, slow, twisty - again, great for a motorcycle, bad for a car/truck.

I can do frank raines - it's not a 2 day adventure, and neither is Hollister. (one each day maybe?)

However, I won't be driving the trails - no way in hell I'm scratching the F150, it's too pretty!

If it helps any, I'd say we BBQ one night.. Ray's place!

If any preference matters, I'd also like a chance at keeping as much of my paint job as possible. Are either of these places real tight for vehicles our size? I'd prefer not squeezing through Jeep-sized trails.

I got a ton of trail pinstriping on my brand new paint job at the Wheeler Lake trail at CCR2001 last month and would like to avoid getting more if we can work around that.

Originally posted by tdavis

If it helps any, I'd say we BBQ one night.. Ray's place!

If you do a BBQ on Saturday night at rays I maybe able to come by and say high. Be coming back from somewhere north where the rock crawling compitiotion is.

Matt

Ok Here's the Plan

How about we do Frank Raines on Saturday and Hollister on Sunday.
I have Friday off and Gerald and I would like to hit some rocks in the Serrias.
Anybody know of a decent trail around the Shaver Lake area? Not Dusy Ershim Tom, we only want to be up there one day. :p Anyone else interested in the Friday run?

Friday 8:00am Ray Lobatos' house in Los Banos meet then head for the Serrias. Send me a PM for directions to my house if interested in going.

Saturday 9:00am Jack in the box just off the patterson exit on I-5 meet.

Sunday 9:00am Ranger station at Hollister Hills meet.

Ray, what time friday do you think you will be coming through Fresno to head to shaver? I get done with class at 10:00 am and would be up for heading up with you. Will you have an open seats my truck is still broke. I have a map out in my truck of all the trails in the area. I will grab it out later and see what I can find for you. If you want give me a call (559)322-8523 tommorow and I will get my map and help you find out what you want. I have been on a few of the trails up there. The ones I have been on were super easy as rated. Let me know. I am going by the ranger station today and will check to see what trails are open.

Matt

I really want to go to the sierras!

BUT, I'll need an open seat - I'll drive the F150 up there, park it, and ride along with someone.

I can take pics, pics, and movies.

I'll see what the schedule is like - I'm sure I can take that friday off.

Oh. and I've got a NF map of the area, that shows the sanction trails too.

You guys got my attention. Glad to see some one is getting together an outing here in Ca. I'm interested and I live close. Keep this post updated so I can follow what the plans are.

Tom, Rock,
We will have plenty of seats open. You can ride with me, or you can ride with Gerald. Rock from my house it's a little over an Hour to Fresno, we can plan it to reach there by 10:00am. I'm not real familar with Fresno but I have been up and down Shaw Ave enough to know the college is right there. Do you have a place we can meet up with? I appreciate the help in finding a good technicially challenging run. The only restraint is Gerald doesn't want any body dammage so a trail rating of 6 or 7 on a 10 scale I think would be cool.

:( :( Trails up by shaver are closed. Just went by the ranger staion and the sign out side that lists all the trails are closed. Can't really understand why Bald Mountain is closed as well. That is the trail open for doing snow runs. Didn't get a chance to talk to anyone. I am guessing that it has to with it being Nov. now. I know all the parking areas have signs for snow passes start today. I will try to call them and see if they are planning to reopen any of them. Could also bee the rain and want to keep the erosion down. I will call them and let you know. If bald mountain is open it would be cool. I only ran it once by myself and never even had to lock the hubs with the rear locker. There are a ton of side routes that can make it fun. And body damage should be very minimal if any from what I remember. Also some very cool views from it that I remember.

Matt

Rock,
Keep looking, I'm sure we can find somewhere to go. I'll try and call you tomorrow. What time would be best?
Thanks for your help.
Anyone else have any ideas?

Sunday After 3:00 or monday from 4-530 or after 10:00

I am looking going to try to call monday and see why bald mountain isn't open. I thought it was year round so I will see what they say.

Matt

Ok, after remembering I have conference this coming weekend, I'll be pushing togo on friday/sat/sunday for this one. :)

As a possible alternate trail(s), how about deer valley trail, up on hwy 4/hwy 88 area? They are somewhat easy, and have incredible views. I don't think any snow has fallen up there, so it all should be open, and there are no gates on these trails that I know of up there.

t

WOW! this is the month...... whew hooooo. i just got back today from a run with agroup called wt 4wheeling and guys from a club called mybigbronco.com. 15broncos 3 j**ps,a modified 4runner and of course a explorer slightly modified. all looks good for that weekend i,m up for it all. tom,you know you have seat in the truck you helped creat.it would be cool having you as a passenger( so please please pick me) lol.oh yeah riding on your old 33.12,50's remember them? the end of the month i will be at oceano dunes with my exploder and bear tracker (quad that is).busy month. im in for sure hope to see ya kvo and ray!!!!!!!. it,s been awhile take care keep me posted

Called the forest service today they were closed so I will try calling tommorow and see what they have to say.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so what is the skinny. When is everyone meeting and any other info would be great.

Matt are you still going to watch the rock fest?

Back