• Register Today It's free!

Not Starting Right Away

FXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Loxahatchee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I was having the typical IAC problems on my 99 XLT. When it got really bad (I had to keep on the throttle while on the brakes), I finally replaced the IAC. All was good until 2 weeks later. My X starts but it takes 4 - 5 seconds of cranking. I changed all filters, tuned-up, etc. Only mechanical mod is K&N filter. Reset computer etc, etc. Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you pause to let the Fuel Pump stop whining before turning to start? Turn key to on, when pumps stops whining, turn off, turn on again, wait for pump to stop whining then turn to start. See if that helps. If it does, could be the check valve in the FP letting gas drain out of lines back into the tank.

I tried the key on key off and it didn't seem to make a differnce. Anyway, I was going to replace the TPS and couldn't get the two screws off without them stripping. Whille I had the hood up I pulled some plug wires to check them out. Seemed okay and replaced wires in correct order. So I put everything back together to go the to auto parts store get something to remove the screws. Reconnect battery, and now runs as if only on 5 cylinders. Took it for a drive in hopes the computer needed remapping. That didn't help. Now I have the Check Engine light on all the time. Idles not that bad...pulse from exhaust seem to miss a pulse. Never had Check Engine light come on before.

Mine has been doing something similar. On some days it cranks for 7-10 seconds before starting. Some days it starts and either stalls right away or idles rough for 5 seconds then is fine and other days it starts perfectly.

This usually happens at a cold start, the odd time at a warm one. If it stalls on startup, it will start right away the second time with no problem. Weather seems to have little effect on this condition. Please help if you can.

Okay, so this morning I go out to start up my X and it started right up. No problems as before. CEL was on so I disconnected my battery for EXACTLY 30 minutes, reconnected, started right up, no more CEL....I don't know if this means anything but decided to swap AC and FP relays. Now I have a belt squeak at startup. Changed my serpentine belt last week. I thought adjusted idelr pulley was supposed to provide proper tension. Any tricks to this?

How many miles on the '99? My idler pulleys been replaced. Was about to fall to pieces at 100K. They generally don't last much longer......

Well, the belt squealing has stopped. Seems the belt i got from Pep Boys was slightly too long and wouldn't let the tensioner adjust fully. Replaced with a belt from Advance auto and squeal is gone. When I compared the first belt with my old one, they seemed to be the same size. guess not. Still takes a few minutes a few cranks to start, only when cold now. Could it be plugs? I have Bosch Platinum 2 now.

Back