Not Starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not Starting

Biniecki

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
I have a 96 explorer XLT and it was running fine up until a couple days ago. I cleaned it out and left the door open for an extended period of time. I didnt drive the truck for a couple days and when I went to leave the other morning it wouldnt start. I assumed the battery was dead and that I would charge/jump it later. I got my battery charger out today and charged it for awhile and tried again. Still nothing. I checked the battery with a voltage meter and it was reading over 13V so i knew it was fully charged.

At this point I assume the solenoid must be bad and i jumped it with a screwdriver and the engine cranked. I ran to the parts store and grabbed a replacement and installed it. Tried again with the key and still nothing. Jumping with a screwdriver I notice that it cranks but it will not start. I then decided to check the power for the ignition wire running to the solenoid. There is no power going to this wire when the key is turned to the START possition. I now start looking around for a bad fuse. I can't seem to find any that are bad. Does anyone have any other ideas? Only other thing I can think of is the ignition switch.

Well here is an update. I replaced the ignition switch today and no change. I was previously talking to the guy at the auto parts store about the situation and he had mentioned a neutral safety switch. This got me thinking I wonder if the selector isnt fully in gear. Its a little sloppy so i pushed up on it, turned the key and it fired right up. Sometimes the simplest solutions work the best. Man do i feel stupid lol

Back