• Register Today It's free!

Not your usual O/D off flashing

svt4cam

Reaction score
City, State
The Wilds of New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 XLT, 02 Sport, 03 XLT
Greetings, gang! Thankfully haven't needed the collective wisdom contained here as the fleet of Explorer's have been plugging along well. Up until yesterday. My daughter has our 2000 xlt (sohc 5r55e 22xxxx miles on car about 70xxx on rebuilt Jasper trans I installed abt 5 years ago) as her college car about 150 miles away and I got the dreaded od off light flashing call last night. We went up this morning with another car for her and my code reader. No light and nothing in memory? Ok?? Drove it home and car behaved well shifted smoothly OD works as evidenced by turning off switch and rpms jump abt 400 or so. Light came on for me on way home too, no change in performance. Before I turned off the car put the reader on it again, nothing. Reader is a Innova Equus 3120, should get trans codes, it did on my GM work van. Only weirdness I can sense in the trans is I'm not sure if torque converter is locking up, the rpms seem to float up a bit more when you give it a bit more gas from a steady pace. But I don't drive this old girl much either so I have a hard time saying whats normal. Fluid is full smells ok and is pretty clear, car has a remote filter and fluid and filters have been changed several times during transmissions lifespan. Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the OD light flashes, there are stored codes. My suggestion would be to use a different scanner. IMHO the fact that it worked on a GM transmission does not mean it will work on the Ford one.

Correct. Ford transmission codes are manufacturer specific codes. You need to get it on a pro level scanner. For instance, an Actron pocket scanner will read Honda transmission codes, but not Ford. When you do get hooked up, just like almost everyone else, you should return code P0741 TCC system performance or stuck off. This mean the lock up is failing, and the PCM is detecting excessive slippage in the torque converter clutch. This is usually a wear issue, in the piston hub, or pressure loss elsewhere such as the pump stator seal or valve body.

It has the potential to overheat due to slippage. Self destruction of the converter is inevitable, you should replace it ASAP.

Dr Doom and 1998 thanks, The Innova was not a cheap scanner and is supposed to get Mfr enhanced trans DTC's but who knows? I'm going to hook up scanner again this am see if I can get anything, then drop it at a local dealer that I've had good luck with on our other Ex's and hopefully they can pull it up and fix it. I have a feeling it's converter also by the way it behaves, so if they can pull a code to confirm I'm happy to have the dealer replace it to further extend the life of what's been a reliable vehicle.

Update, tried reader again and got PO741 Just as Dr Doom predicted. This Innovia reader is a great product but the operating instructions are useless. You have to go to website and print 150 page manual because reader comes with single page in english. So I will drop the old girl at the dealer, if they come back with same diagnosis, I will let em replace converter both filters (1 remote I installed) and new synthetic fluid. Sound like a sane plan?

Back