Output speed Sensor - O/D off Flashing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Output speed Sensor - O/D off Flashing?

Slicer89

Reaction score
City, State
Montucky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT V8 AWD
A little background, Explorer has 163k on it. V8, AWD, Automatic, Blah blah.

When I first got it, it ran and drove fine. Tranny shifted buttery smooth. No issues... Got it into town, then the O/D off light started flashing and it would shift funny. I pulled over, Checked fluid and any connections.. Fluid level was fine. Didn't smell or look even remotely burnt. It still drove fine other than shifting funny from like 2nd gear. As I was leaving Autozone, The CEL came on...I turned around and had them check it. Was throwing a code for the Output speed sensor. I purchased the sensor but haven't installed it yet.

While the CEL stayed on, The O/D off light didn't flash anymore and it shifted fine. I was able to drive a few towns over (70mile round trip) no issues. While driving to another town tonight, the O/D Off light started flashing again and it was shifting REALLY funny. (Hard to describe, but at one point on the freeway it downshifted while on a flat surface into I'm assuming 3rd gear because it hit 4k RPMs doing 70mph)

So I am wondering, Would the output speed sensor cause these issues? When the O/D off wasn't flashing, it shifted buttery smooth has it should with ZERO issues.. As soon as the OD off started flashing again, it would act up.

Also, Where is the OSS located and how difficult would it be to change it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone at all? I can't seem to find the OSS anywhere on the transmission at all. Or transfer case, There is a sensor on the rear axle.. but I was told that's for the rear ABS or traclock if it has it.

Just swap the sensor and see if its your issue, you have all the clues pointing to it. Its 1 plug and 1 bolt to swap it out. Crawl under the drivers side and you should it at the top of the rear body of the case. Its right above the linkage.

Just swap the sensor and see if its your issue, you have all the clues pointing to it. Its 1 plug and 1 bolt to swap it out. Crawl under the drivers side and you should it at the top of the rear body of the case. Its right above the linkage.

The Transfer case? And what linkage. I have the AWD model and could not for the life of me see it anywhere on the Tcase or Tranny.

I just looked on an extra trans I have and I see why you can find it. The sensor is right behind the large plug 30 pin bulk connector on the side of the transmission right above the shifter linkage.

I just looked on an extra trans I have and I see why you can find it. The sensor is right behind the large plug 30 pin bulk connector on the side of the transmission right above the shifter linkage.

I thought I saw something there. Any write ups on how to change it? Doesn't seem like I can get to it without lowering the transmission.

Its pretty simple....

-Unbolt the big bulk connector with a 10mm socket
-Pop the tab on the bulk connector end on the transmission to free the plug so you can move it
-Unbolt the connector braket
-You now should be staring at it and have easy access, 1 bolt 1 connector and its in and out

Its pretty simple....

-Unbolt the big bulk connector with a 10mm socket
-Pop the tab on the bulk connector end on the transmission to free the plug so you can move it
-Unbolt the connector braket
-You now should be staring at it and have easy access, 1 bolt 1 connector and its in and out

Hmm, okay.

Looks like autozone gave me the wrong sensor if that's the case. The one I got has a straight connector and apparently, from what I remember seeing the one on there now has a 90° plug.

DORMAN Part # 917636
AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 5S10237
MOTORCRAFT Part # DY1205

Back