O/D off and Wrench Light!

jsingh

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
I have an 06 ED 4.0L, today the wrench light came on.:mad:

According to the owners manual its a "powertrain malfunction". So I was switching between gears and I've noticed that the "O/D off" light doesnt light up EXCEPT for when its in "1". Could this be the reason for the warning light? Any ideas?? Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 06 ED 4.0L, today the wrench light came on.:mad:

According to the owners manual its a "powertrain malfunction". So I was switching between gears and I've noticed that the "O/D off" light doesnt light up EXCEPT for when its in "1". Could this be the reason for the warning light? Any ideas?? Thanks guys.

Sounds transmission related..go to advance auto and have them read the code...that'll give a direction to head in at least

could be as simple as a blown fuse...thats what triggered mine

So it appears it may be the electonic throttle response..any thoughs guys. Need to get it scanned for a more clear picture

At least on the 06 mustangs, that wrench icon is the drive by wire (throttle by wire) system failure.

I don't know if the 06 explorer has the same thing (drive by wire)..

Either way, thats new enough that you will need a code reader than can also read can-bus codes. Older ODB-II scanners won't (I had to buy a new one for our mustang).

Checker/CSK Auto etc won't scan the codes "for you" anymore, but at least around here, you can use their scanner and read it yourself in the parking lot. If you want to take the scanner home to scan it there you pay for it and get your money back when you return the scanner.

~Mark

Did you ever figure out your wrench light? I have the EXACT same problem. Also I have an innova scanner that does can-bus and it will not pick up a code, but I'm wondering if there is an actual code because the check engine ligh is not on. Any ideas? Thanks

I don't have any suggestions as to why the wrench light is on...

As for the OD light not turning on... except in 1st gear... I had my shifter replaced and I noticed that the two thing wires that lead to the button on the shift lever weren't seated in the connector properly.

In order to see that, I had to take the console apart and trace the wire from the shift lever to the little white box that is clipped to the shifter.

Hope that helps a little

Thanks for the input! Although it doesn't really help me. I can drive around with no wrench light and my O/D off light works fine, then I'll get the wrench light and the O/D off light goes out... although it will still stay out of overdrive.

When the wrench light comes on I can shut it off and restart then it will be out again for however long. Sometimes it will never come on, sometimes after a few minutes of driving it appears. It also seems to be any speed or conditions. Thanks again. Any ideas are valuable at this point.

Any updates to your wrenchlight O/D problem?

I also have a 06 EB 4.0 and have the same issue. My wrench light comes on like clockwork approx 4 miles after driving. My O/D off light will not function after the wrench light has come on and I clear it through reset. The O/D light works fine before that. Although the light is not functioning i can toggle the on of switch for the O/D and notice the change in RPM as it engages and disengages the O/D. I have the common 2nd-3rd shift flare and was wondering if the light could be related to the solenoid pack that I have seen on other posts. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have a '11 Ford Explore and today I pulled up to a red light and my car started a hard vibrating and the wrench light came on. I was able to drive the car through the red light at a coasting speed, it would not take any gas but almost like it just moved on its on with no gas. As soon as I turned the car off then restarted it, the problem went away. The dealership said that if the check engine light did not come on then they would not be able to read a code on it, that we would need to bring it in when the condition is going on. I am afraid with no power and the vehicle shaking the way it did, I may not make it to the dealership.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else have the wrench, shaking & no go power like I did. Thanks for any and all responses.

I have a '11 Ford Explore and today I pulled up to a red light and my car started a hard vibrating and the wrench light came on. I was able to drive the car through the red light at a coasting speed, it would not take any gas but almost like it just moved on its on with no gas...

Hi vLisam,

I want to get your regional customer service manager involved so they can step in and assist. Send me a private message (PM) with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll get this into their hands.

Crystal

Wrench Light - O/D Light off

Did anyone come up with information on this problem?

I have a '11 Ford Explore and today I pulled up to a red light and my car started a hard vibrating and the wrench light came on. I was able to drive the car through the red light at a coasting speed, it would not take any gas but almost like it just moved on its on with no gas. As soon as I turned the car off then restarted it, the problem went away. The dealership said that if the check engine light did not come on then they would not be able to read a code on it, that we would need to bring it in when the condition is going on. I am afraid with no power and the vehicle shaking the way it did, I may not make it to the dealership.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Anyone else have the wrench, shaking & no go power like I did. Thanks for any and all responses.
Did you find out what made this happen? This is happening to my 2013 explore.

Did you find out what made this happen? This is happening to my 2013 explore.
Maybe we could get the above posts transferred to the proper forum so their can be accurately addressed. Right now, you're posting in the '06-'10 Explorer forum.

Maybe we could get the above posts transferred to the proper forum so their can be accurately addressed. Right now, you're posting in the '06-'10 Explorer forum.
Thank you! I’m not quit sure how to do this, I am new this forum and still learning.

Back