• Register Today It's free!

"O/D OFF" Flashing ????

Gavel

Reaction score
City, State
Mountain Top, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I have a 99 Sport, 4.0L SOHC, A/T and just lately when I hit a speed of around 80 mph the "Over Drive Off" light in the dash starts to flash and continues to flash until I shut the engine off and restart it.

Does anyone know what could be causing the O/D light to flash?

Thanks..........Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The quick answer is that there's something wrong with your transmission. Do a search and you're find several threads on the subject.

If it happens routinely it is something to worry about. It's probably torque converter slippage since you haven't said anything about really high rpms on the highway (loss of overdrive).

I'd take it to a reputable tranny shop or at least do a fluid/filter change. I recommend Cottman Transmissions.

Whatever you DON"T IGNORE it!! Replaced flexplate converter, Bellhousing w/seals and $1800 late and 3 months...its back in the shop today!! Same problem but had it towed before flexplate explodes again!
Is the a problem with the torque converters?? Is there a recall we don't know about??

I had a similar problem recently but it happened 1 day after my alarm guy installed a new alarm for me. So I knew it was something he did. I told him of the problem and he said he'd look it over (nice guy at Stereo Upgrade). As it turned out, it was something that he did with the wiring to install the alarm. Everything's okay now.

Have you done any electrical work recently?

I have the same problem. And have had the problem for about 25,000 miles. Mine tested as P0741 TCC Malfunction, or apparently a torque converter sensor is bad. Basically my car is not locking the torque converter when it should be. So I had the sensor replaced, which did nothing to fix it. Two shops told me if it happened again I would need a "tranny tear down." No thanks.

I got some info from a member here that had been having the same problem as me for a couple of years. He said he just lives with it, which is what I have learned to do.

I have become quite good at preventing the problem from happening. For one the light usually only comes on if I drive above 50mph, so it almost never goes on unless I am on the freeway. On the freeway I make a conscious effort to keep the torque converter locked
(better for the tranny anyway), not too hard unless you lift off the accelerator. Often I drive with the O/D off to keep my revs up so I don't have to stab the accelerator at all, and I have noticed very little change in mileage. Plus I drive under 70 mph usually. If the light does come on I just pull over turn the car off and go on my way.

Annoying? Yes...but better than the thousand dollar job all the shops want to give me. Usually my car drives just fine also, so no big deal. Eventually I am sure I will need a new tranny but I deal with it then.

Thanks guys for all the info.

I have 45,000 miles on it and a SuperChip installed. If I'm not mistaken, the SuperChip changed the shifting points which might have caused the problem. If I get a chance this summer I'll take out the chip and run it for awhile and see what happens.

Like I said before, the light only flashes when I go over 80mph otherwise it never comes on. I guess I'll have to live with it or stay under 80. Thanks again.

The superchip shouldn't be causing the problem. But still take it out, reset the computer, and see what happens. I'd still guess it's a torque converter or sensor problem.

Back