obd-2.com Logger | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

obd-2.com Logger

Where are you getting $1400 for the Diagtek? I just looked at their website and the price is $449 for most Palm models, $30 more if you have a Sony Clie or a Handspring.

They did raise the price by quite a bit - last November I only paid $249 plus extra for the cable - I think the total was $279. I guess they decided that they could raise the price based on the reviews they have been getting.

For the price, I would go with the PC based software, especially since you don't want a Palm. For me, it was worth it to buy a refurbished Palm because it is smaller and I can mount it where I can see the display while driving

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The price of the DiagTek went up because it now also supports the CAN protocol, which many of the new Fords are based on. Things like the 6.0L Powerstroke, 2005 Explorers and other select vehicles are now running CAN, and soon all Fords will be switched over to this protocol.

I'm not sure where you came up with $1400 either, it's not that much. DiagTek is the best scanner I've ever used for a Ford (and I also own Alex Peper's unit) outside of the factory NGS tool. DiagTek scans every active module on the vehicle, and includes active bi-directional command for each module. Peper's unit can't do that. Most don't, outside the factory scanner, which is what makes the DiagTek one of the best, IMO.

BradE. said:
The price of the DiagTek went up because it now also supports the CAN protocol, which many of the new Fords are based on. Things like the 6.0L Powerstroke, 2005 Explorers and other select vehicles are now running CAN, and soon all Fords will be switched over to this protocol.

Good point. They did send me an upgrade offer, but I didn't bother because I don't need the capability to use it for the CAN protocol. I don't see a new Ford in the immediate future. :p ;)

dogfriend said:
Good point. They did send me an upgrade offer, but I didn't bother because I don't need the capability to use it for the CAN protocol. I don't see a new Ford in the immediate future. :p ;)

I didn't get the upgrade either. Didn't seem like it was worth the cost for the limited amount of vehicles currently on the platform. Plus, all those vehicles would be under warranty for a while, so I wouldn't need to be scanning those myself anyway. :p

sorry about that, i was thinking of another scanner. yes, the diagtek is ~$450.

looks like diagtek is the way to go. to bad i dont have a palm pilot yet.

Alex Peper does have a CAN-ready adapter, its like $225 or something. He told me that Airbag and Trans codes codes can be read with my adapter (which interfaces with ALL types of OBD2) because they are transmitted via an ISO protocol, seperate from the PWM protocol that the EEC data is transmitted on. I have yet to have any codes, so I can not confirm this.

The laptop-based software works great for me, I really like having a 10" screen over the 4" screen of a palm. When using the laptop in the truck, I temporarily tape a trackball to the center console armrest, providing quick access and adjustments. The laptop sits on the passenger seat. Obviously, a newer laptop would be faster, and have a larger, color screen - but I don't mind if this one gets grease on the keys :)

Back