obd-2.com Logger

Erievon

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 EB
Hey guys (and gals)

I did a search for OBD-2.com, and it only returned one thread. I figured either alot of people here didnt know about it, or had a better way of datalogging there X.

If you've been wanting some form of datalogging tool and have a laptop, check out www.obd-2.com. I've been using it on my Eclipse for a few years now and I love it. Having reacently picked up my X, I bought the cable to connect to the Ford ECU and have been extremely happy with the interface. It will pull just about everything your computer sees, including trouble codes and a breif explination of it, o2 voltages, timing advance, tps, etc. Only words for obd2 ecus though, and I'm not positive when the Explorer switched over.

Or...if you guys are using something else, what is it? I'm always up for new toys.

Al Omahen

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive always wondered if there was something like this out there. good info, dude. looks like i may be searchin' ebay for a laptop instead of getting the auto-xray.

Does this read Air Bag and ABS codes?

I have an AutoXray, but I want some better. I have been looking at a Snap-On mt2500, but prefer not to spend a $1,000 on a used unit. This seems good. Wonder how much a cheap laptop costs?

obdiicsu.com

Colorado State University A little technical but it gives you an idea what is coming. An environmental check using only the computer port for car registration. Some good check engine light test cases they solved that stunped the dealers. Not that it is hard to do.

I honestly have no idea if it will read airbag or abs codes. As far as I know those are handled by a different computer, at least on my Eclipse. The X may be different, but I doubt it.

On the flip side I havent had either one of these vehicles throw warnings for abs or the airbag...and their computer normally just sits idle with nothing to tell. If I knew how to falsly create one of these errors I'd try it to see if something pops up on the logger. Any ideas how to create the error?

Al Omahen

Air Bag, ABS and Tranny codes will come through the PCM, my friends Snap-On MT2500 reads them through the standard connector on the PCM.

Pull the air-bag fuse from the small box under your hood by your master cylinder (your manual will say which one it is). Start it up. Plug in your code reader and see if it picks it up. Put the fuse back in. If you can't read the code though, you'll have to turn your key from off to on 256 times to clear the code unless you go to Ford and have them clear it. I tried that with my AutoXray and it woudn't see the code with an older software version. I chose to turn my key off and on 256 times to clear my code. I haven't tried it since now that my software has been updated. I don't expect that it would.

You can also unplug your transfer case shift solenoid and go for a quick drive around the block. Drive it until your 4x4 High and Low lights start to flash. Try reading the code once you get the error. The good thing about this one though is once you plug your connector back in, the light will go out by itself.

edit

I have looked at the site for the obd2 scanner, and was wondering if it was good or not. I don't think that it has the capability of scanning ABS or Air Bag codes though.

Does anyone know how this compares to the scan tool software that runs on a Palm? I don't have a Palm and my PC laptop is a POS, but I would consider getting a Palm if the scan software is good. I have seen some on Ebay that aren't too expensive.

I would try the T-Case thing Robert suggested, if it reads those codes I will probably purchase one.

If not then I will probably just have to keep my AutoXray, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a Snap-On or OTC scanner. :(

Well, if the other logger didnt pick it up, I HIGHLY doubt this one will either. Not sure I'm willing to go thru the code trouble to find out...again I seriously doubt it will pick it up.

I have a 4x2 so the transfer case thing isnt going to work..heh. Any other ideas to try so I don't have to go thru 250 some clicks of my ignition?

As for this software vs. the palm software. The palm software can see just as much as the obd-2.com program can. It's actually much more convienient based on the size of a palm vs. a laptop. However, if you've already got a laptop, even a pos one, this is a good option. However, if you've already have a palm, I say get the palm logger. I've seen both in the DSM world, and both work really well.

Al Omahen

I have a logger simular to that one that I use for tuning my talon it saves logs and reads codes using a cable attached to a palm pilot. www.digitaltunning.com Only problem with the one I have is it doesn't read GM or Ford ODBII different software but if this one does the same as my software but for an explorer it should read the same codes as an ODBII scanner as well as log runs for tunning.

My laptop is a 486 33Mhz 4MB 250mb POS toshiba that crashes every time you try to use the floppy drive. :mad: One of the worst investments I ever made. I bought it to do simple word processing and it wasn't even good for that because the battery life is about 30 minutes or so. There was a class action lawsuit against toshiba for the floppy drive problem, but the settlement terms gave me a $50 discount on a new toshiba :mad:

I think the Palm pilot would make a good scan tool because of its size. I would also like to get a GPS, and Handspring has a GPS module so I could kill two birds, ect. I've seen refurbished ones for reasonable prices.

I have some good news. I e-mailed Alex Peper (The guy to makes the scan tool) he said it supports Engine and Tranny codes for Ford. Can download Ford Enchanced from his website free of charge.

No Airbag, but the indicator lamp flashes the code so you don't really need that. Does not read ABS.

Engine and tranny is still pretty good though, better than my AutoXray. For the price this looks hard to beat.

Uh oh.....

Now you're making me think the PC software is better than the Palm software....I don't have immediate need for the scanner, though, so I will keep researching.

I was looking at the Palm software Dead Link Removed because there is a guy on Ebay selling this. Bids appears to be in the $100 range; from Auterra the device is $219. I'm wondering if there is a catch here; does the company support the ones on Ebay?

All else being equal, I would rather buy something that will be supported well, rather than getting a good deal on something that will be obsolete in 6mos. It looks like Alex Peper supports his product well.

Thanks Brad. it never occured to me to look into the Ford advanced files, having just got my explorer a few weeks ago.

Alex is really good about keeping software updates on his web page at no charge, once you make the initial purchase. When I originally bought it about 10 months ago for my Eclipse, I bought the combo router to handle Ford as well, because I knew I was going to be picking up either a ranger or explorer shortly as a daily driver. Thanks for the reminder!

Al Omahen;)

Man, I love my diagtek scanner. It doesn't graph, but it does read all the ABS and Air Bag codes (no problems there so far, knock on wood). They only make it for Fords though.

The only problem with Diagtek is they only make it for Palm. If they made it for PC's I would buy it right now, but they don't. :(

Do any of these programs let you adjust? I remember a program that came out for the Mustang that would give soo much detail, like the milliseconds an injector would open, and then you could adjust it as well. Really cool for Drag Racing! I think it was something Ford Motorsports made and you would use a laptop to connect to the computer in the Car. It was pretty wild.

You are talking about the EPEC. I don't know of anything out currently that we can use on OBD-II systems. My OBD-2 code reading and data logging software doesn't allow me to tune, but it at least gives me an idea of where to start looking when I'm losing performance or have a code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are scan tools that allow tuning on OBD II cars, but they are factory units only and are mega $$$$$. Usually between $3,000-$7,000 depending on the tool and options. :eek:

Back