• Register Today It's free!

obd codes?

badunlap

Reaction score
City, State
mineral city ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 ford explorer sport
I have a 1997 explorer sport 4.0 sohc i had my codes read on this and they were p0171 and p0174 does anyone know what these codes mean? my explorer doesnt want to idle when u first start it up then it acts like a choke comes on and it idles fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P0171 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionSystem Too Lean (Bank 1)

What does that mean?Basically this means that an oxygen sensor
in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust
). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

SymptomsYou will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

CausesA code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
•There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible SolutionsPossible solutions include:

•In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner
. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
•Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
•Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

----------------------------------------

P0174 OBD-II Trouble Code
Technical DescriptionSystem Too Lean (Bank 2)

What does that mean?Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 2 is generally the side of the engine that doesn't have cylinder #1.

Note: This DTC is very similar to P0171, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

SymptomsYou will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

CausesA code P0174 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible SolutionsPossible solutions include:

In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

thanks al

thanks for the info al i will check all of this out.

Do you have the 4.0 sohc? If so i would look at your intake gaskets.

obd ?

yes i have a 4.0 sohc i will check this out

with the 4.0 sohc the intake gaskets are notorious for going bad,

what about ohv? i am having the same problem... i recently stalled though due to water and driving to fast into it... but i was having the problem even before then....

im not too sure about the ohv's but the intake gaskets are where i would start. the are dirt cheap to get and easy as pie to do. i wouldnt go to the dealer to get the parts the gaskets come in a package with camshaft tension or some bs like that, that tey recommend to change when doing the intake gaskets. its bs u should have to replace that unless u r having problems with it.

Back