1997 ford explorer xlt v8 obd codes & fan problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 ford explorer xlt v8 obd codes & fan problem?

KINNEY201

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT V8
Hi,
I have an 1997 Ford Explorer XLT V8. I'm having a few problems and was hoping to get some advice from some experienced members.

Problem #1:

I am consistently getting OBD codes P0171(System Too Lean Bank 1) & P0174(System Too Lean Bank 2).

I have already cleaned the MAF Sensor and the codes have still returned.

Problem #2:

I have noticed that when my truck is running and idling, a fan/belt kicks in every 30 seconds or so and then stops. It does this over and over. I'm not sure how to describe it other than that.

Conclusion: I'm not having any driveability issues, however, I care about my truck and would like to fix these problems. Any experienced feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You need to check for a vacuum leak for your codes. Make sure you don't have a broken or missing vacuum hose, etc. This can be difficult to find and takes patience. Do a search here and you will find plenty of suggestions on approaches to use for this. No need in me repeating them all here.

You also should have your car connected to a good scan tool so you can monitor your O2 sensors. They could be just old and tired and stuck lean.

As to your fan/belt kicking in every 30 seconds...I have no idea what you are trying to tell us here. We need a lot more information. Are you saying your fan clutch engages every 30 seconds? I suspect what you are trying to describe may be your a/c compressor kicking on and off. You don't give your location...so I don't know if you are running the a/c or the defroster. Or do you have ATC?

Ok, I'm not sure of the technical name for the pulley, but it's the one closest to the battery. The pulley spins continuously, however, the front of it (which has 3 large circles/discs on it) spins every 3 seconds and stops. I've noticed that it only does this when the A/C is on. I have also noticed a drastic decrease in cold air. I am not sure if this is related or not.

As far as the O2 sensors go, I was advised to try replacing the MAF sensor first since the OBD did not specify a sensor but rather just bank 1 & 2 lean.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Also, I did not find any posts that detail "for dummys" (like me) how to check for vacuum leaks. If anyone can point them out I would appeciate it.

"Remember, not everyone knows as much as you about mechanics, maybe that's why we come here!"

Back