• Register Today It's free!

Obd-ii p0442

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
I have been going insane trying to clear an emissions code P0442.
I have information that the D.P.F.E. sensor is usually the problem...sometimes just the gas cap.
I install another DPFE sensor, disconnect the neg on the battery...wait 1 minute and hook the battery back up. When I start the engine the CEL goes out.
I drive through the OBD-II dive cycle as follows

1. Ensure that the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.
2. Start cold (below 86°F /30°C) and warm up until engine coolant temperature is at least 160° F (typically requires at least one minute; up to 3 minutes).
3. Accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for five minutes.
4. Decelerate without using the brake (coast down) to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
5. Restart and accelerate to 40-55 MPH at 25% throttle and maintain speed for two minutes.
6. Decelerate with using the brake [or the clutch!] by coasting down to 20 MPH or less, then stop the vehicle. Allow the engine to idle for 10 seconds, turn the key off, and wait one minute.
When I turn the ignition off the final time after step 6 ....YEP...It comes back on :mad:
I am wondering if I keep the engine running with the CEL out, will I make it through the emissions testing ??
Any advice will be appreciated.
I have not changed the gas cap which I hear is the other culprit sometimes.
Thank you,
Rick

Had the same happen here changed the cap code went away. I think most states turned the key off to check the cell light, at the start of the test.

Thank you Thunderhorse for the reply. :thumbsup:
Well I guess it is time for me to get a new gas cap.
Thanks again,
Rick

The canister purge valve is also a cause for p0442. That's what was giving me the p0442 on my 98.

Also check to make sure there are no cracks in any of the evap hoses. A crack even as small as 1/16th of an inch will trigger a p0442.

Back