OBD-II Reading with ELM 327 Interface | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OBD-II Reading with ELM 327 Interface

guitrentz

Reaction score
City, State
Lajeado, RS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Limited 5.0 V8
Hello! This is my first post, since i just bough my 2001 Ford Explorer Limited V8 5.0.
I'm trying to connect my OBD reader device (tested in other vehicles) on the X, already discovered that there's a #5 fuse on the dash fuse panel missing, wich i'll replace. By now, i'll put the righ headlight fuse on it (it's the 10 amp fuse required on the service manual). The OBD-II protocol is J1850 PWN, right? In case it still not work, i should think about replacing the OBD socket in the car?

Thx for any support folks, this care is REALY rare here in Brazil, so I need to do all myself.

By the way, i'm connecting using the PC, softwares i've tried: Digimoto V, EasyOBDII, OBD-DIAG, OBDSpy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had issues with my 97 not wanting to connect with my off-brand elm 327, but it works with any other obd2 scanner. not saying you are gonna have issues, just saying if you do dont blame it on the explorer immediatly. my elm seems to connect with everything but a ford, so im assuming it has something to do with the protocal that ford uses

I found out that some of the cheap clones of elm327 on eBay are not connecting corectly.
What model do you have?

I have used three different ones - bluetooth connected to laptop or android (Torque Pro) - and one of them was bad.

sonic, im not sure, it came from hong kong and had a panda on the software CD, i have bought 2 from them, and this one is an updated version that does not have a box for a serial adapter, the one with the serial adapter worked great until it got wet, and now i cant find that one. I am going to buy one from scantool.net very soon, as those are made by ELM and have a good warranty and come with far superior software

Hello! This is my first post, since i just bough my 2001 Ford Explorer Limited V8 5.0.
I'm trying to connect my OBD reader device (tested in other vehicles) on the X, already discovered that there's a #5 fuse on the dash fuse panel missing, wich i'll replace. By now, i'll put the righ headlight fuse on it (it's the 10 amp fuse required on the service manual). The OBD-II protocol is J1850 PWN, right? In case it still not work, i should think about replacing the OBD socket in the car?

Thx for any support folks, this care is REALY rare here in Brazil, so I need to do all myself.

By the way, i'm connecting using the PC, softwares i've tried: Digimoto V, EasyOBDII, OBD-DIAG, OBDSpy.

easiest way to test the interface is try your test setup on another vehicle (friends) and see if it works. Based on my experience, depending on which 327 unit you bought, you might not have your computer com port setup properly.

and this one is an updated version that does not have a box for a serial adapter
Is that USB connected or bluetooth connected (and you need to have a receiver on your PC)?
Mine looks like this:

$(KGrHqR,!pwE-)Y0FdzcBPyUGEPYRg~~60_3.jpg

That is the one i bought, and i highly reccomend spending the extra money on this one The customer service is top notch (havent purchased anything from them yet and they have helped me with a lot of questions and trying to diagnose the ebay garbage i already have), and the free software is top notch as far as obd2 generic is concerned

The OP has vanished so don't bother with this thread.
FYI the PalmerPerformance software works with any interface.

Hey!

This is the scanner i have:

327-Car-Diagnostic-Code-Reader-Scan-Tool-V1-4-2010.jpg

Tried several softwares but none works. Tried on other cars and works fine.

I guess the problem is that this adapter has compatibility issues with ford protocols. Any sugestions on a good adapter i can buy from ebay? Or any other place that ships to Brazil. Thanks for the answers!

Hey!

I guess the problem is that this adapter has compatibility issues with ford protocols. Any sugestions on a good adapter i can buy from ebay? Or any other place that ships to Brazil. Thanks for the answers!

Before you go there (ie. buy another thing), I would make sure that your connector has the right conditions on all the pins.... especially since you say the thing works on other vehicles that you have tried.

When you say it doesn't work, what does it complain about exactly.

Hey!

That is the model that had issues with Ford. Use the updated one like the one that I posted above (they have an USB version too).
Or if you really want absolute accuracy, go with the one that is recommended by many software products: Kiwi.
It is in Bluetooth or WiFi connections... no USB.

Hey!

Hey your back.
I have that exact same scanner, got it on ebay some time ago.
It works great with the Palmerperformance software on every car I have used it on.

Hey!

I can confirm that that interface has problems with fords, that is the same one i have and it will work with anything but a ford

Bob, does the palmer performace software you speak of offer a free trial, cause i would like to see if a better software fixes mine, i have tried just about all of them that offer some type of trial and none of them will recognize my ford, but they all work with my 95 dodge

Hey your back.
I have that exact same scanner, got it on ebay some time ago.
It works great with the Palmerperformance software on every car I have used it on.

Thanks for the report. But i think I'll try buyng some different adapters, this software you tell me costs near $100 and i couldn't find any trial versions.
As soon as i have a new adapter i'll keep you guys posted, but it can take some time since i bough from ebay and it can take a month to arrive here in brazil.

Back