Occasional 'snap/clunk' getting worse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Occasional 'snap/clunk' getting worse

Rick500

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT 4WD
'02 Explorer XLT 4WD V6...

Have had an occasional snap/clunk sound (just one sound, that's the best I can describe it... can also physically feel a 'pop' from beneath the truck when I hear it). Usually happens when I start to go slightly up or downhill, i.e., the vehicle goes from level to not level. Also happens sometimes in turns; over speed bumps, etc.

This morning, as I was leaving the driveway I also heard a repetitive clunk coming from the rear, that was in time with the wheels moving. I slowed to almost a stop and the sound went away, then no more problems for a few miles, then it happened one more time.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Yes. The parking brake shoes fell off in the wheel well and are making the clunking/clicking sound. Need to be replaced.

CV joints, maybe. . .they will sometimes click in reverse in turns. . .haven't heard of them going in an Ex.

other ideas in addition to the parking brakes:
Wheel bearings
Rear Springs
Hard to tell without climbing under it. .

Took it in to have it looked at...

Brakes are the culprit for the new noise.

Not sure if related or not, but the right rear diff. seal is leaking pretty badly and one of the front ones is just starting to leak.

Still not sure if any of this is related to the popping noise it's been exhibiting the past several weeks, but I'll at least get the stuff known to be wrong, fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Back