occasional clunk when driving/stopping | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

occasional clunk when driving/stopping

blovell

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 xlt
lately i've noticed (maybe because it just warmed up and i'm driving with the windows down again) an occasional clunk sound when i'm driving or coming to a stop. it only happens in the first few miles of driving after the vehicle starts and only every now and then. is this something normal? once the explorer warms up it seems to stop. i don't think it has anything to do with the transmission as the sound doesn't match up with any gear shifts. however, i did just have my timing chain tensioner pulley replaced. everything is running great. the tach doesn't change when i hear the noise. does anyone know what this might be? thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the 2nd Gen Explorers, it is fairly common to have a clunk when starting off or coming to a stop. The source of the clunk is often the driveshaft slip yoke. The slip yoke is supposed to allow the driveshaft to get slightly longer or shorter to allow the rear suspension to move. The solution is to lube the slip yoke to let it move freely without hanging up.

With the IRS in the 3rd gen, I don't know if they kept using a slip yoke or if they were able to eliminate it. However, if you do have one, I would look at this as a possible source of the noise. Its also possible to have a loose body mount or a loose bushing somewhere in the suspension.

lately i've noticed (maybe because it just warmed up and i'm driving with the windows down again) an occasional clunk sound when i'm driving or coming to a stop. it only happens in the first few miles of driving after the vehicle starts and only every now and then. is this something normal? once the explorer warms up it seems to stop. i don't think it has anything to do with the transmission as the sound doesn't match up with any gear shifts. however, i did just have my timing chain tensioner pulley replaced. everything is running great. the tach doesn't change when i hear the noise. does anyone know what this might be? thanks for your help.

My 2002 does the exact same thing. It almost seems like a u joint or something, but then goes away. I was thinking that maybe the transmission was just downshifting harshly.

I'm still looking for a solution myself.

my 04 is doing the exact same thing and that's what I'm searching for an answer on. Did you have any luck finding the cure?

My 03 does it too. Sounds like a loud click. I was just looking for what it might be...

I have a similar problem on my 3rd gen. Thought it was the slip yolk.

I drilled a tiny hole in the boot and sprayed in some lubricant and then coverered the whole with a silicone sealant.
No luck, I still have the clunk or thump. You can feel it and hear it.

Well I put it in to ford for some warranty work and they couldnt reproduce it.
I went to ford, took the tech for a drive, he said "yip, seems like the slip yolk"

that would have been covered except they took it apart, no problems. They then blamed it on a rear shock that was leaking.

Havnt replaced it yet, but every now and then I still feel / hear that noise whens stopping, or if I stop really slow, Ill feel/hear it when i take my foot off the brake to go.

same deal, 02 XLT

anybody find out other possible solutions? this clunk has been going on for a while, but i just assumed it was the tranny, and didn't have the capital to invest in that b!+c#. so far it sounds like the yoke or a faulty shock, right?

I have had the same problem, Just got mine back from the dealership, they said I had a bad U-joint on the front driveshaft, giong to replace it this weekend.

I think I figured out my noise/feel is coming from the anti-lock brake system. I can feel it more in the brake pedal and when it happens the pedal feels a little harder than normal. If I brake real easy it won't do it but city driving you have to stop quicker and it shows up a lot more.

abs sounds like a good lead

what you described above is it -- easy braking, not usually a clunk, hard braking, definite clunk. what in the ABS system would be responsible -- is it a computer chip or mechanical???? hmmm...

My '02 Sport Trac started making this "clunk", too. I can feel it... almost like something popped under the truck. The first time, I thought I ran over something, but I have noticed it now the past few days. Let me know how you do after the U-joint work.

mine does this too..sounds like a loud click..but with mine i can be sitting in park and it'll do it. not worrying though. BUT about a year i had a clunking sound coming when i would step on the accelerator after putting it into drive/reverse... turned out to be some plate/cover (i'm not really sure) near the tranny. it was fixed under warranty.

I had a similar problem and it was the transfercase flange. hope this helps

I have had clunks from the swayarm bushing going bad. . . twice!

You can see this visually, if you have someone get in the vehicle, and move the Explorer back and forth six inches or so. You then watch from outside. The bushings are outside under the driver/passenger seat. There are two of them, one on each side. They will clunk in and out, as the vehicle is stopped, and put back into motion.

Word of caution. Don't use a jack to put pressure on your wrench, when trying to break the swayarm nut! This will only break your swayarm bolt, which is welded to the swayarm, and you will have to find a new swayarm. I suggest using a torch to loosen any difficult, large nuts or bolts.

Use a torch to break difficult bolts and nuts. I had to take my portable torch that I use for refrigerator repair ogden utah. Taking this torch to the junk yard helps me loosen rusty bolts. Heating up the bolts breaks them loose, so you can get them out.

I have a similar problem on my 3rd gen. Thought it was the slip yolk.

I drilled a tiny hole in the boot and sprayed in some lubricant and then coverered the whole with a silicone sealant.
No luck, I still have the clunk or thump. You can feel it and hear it.

Well I put it in to ford for some warranty work and they couldnt reproduce it.
I went to ford, took the tech for a drive, he said "yip, seems like the slip yolk"

that would have been covered except they took it apart, no problems. They then blamed it on a rear shock that was leaking.

Havnt replaced it yet, but every now and then I still feel / hear that noise whens stopping, or if I stop really slow, Ill feel/hear it when i take my foot off the brake to go.

Its been a while and just saw this tread come back up.
The drive shaft was replaced under warranty once it got bad enough.
The "its within specs" argument finally didn't hold
once replaced, stops were again smooth

My 02 had a hefty clunk about a day after i bought it... Turned out the front sway bar end link was broken.

Back