• Register Today It's free!

Odd auto shifter problem

vitamin

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 limited
Ok hate to make this my first post but now its driving me crazy. A little info on the explorer, its a 2001 4X4 4.0 SOHC and I think the trans is a 5 Speed auto. And the shifter is very difficult to move all the time no matter where it is. The previous owner told me he had a transmission shop replace some rubber bushing? and that the problem came from sitting too long? I've never heard of this happening. Now I checked and when I press the break it releases the lock and I also have unhooked the cable from the transmission and tried to shift and it was free so I'm guessing it is in the transmission but have no ideal what really is causing this and if I can fix it or if I should start thinking about dumping this explorer soon. I have a feeling one morning I'm going to break the sifter off lol. Anyone heard or had a problem like this before?

I'm having the same exact problem with a 1998 4.0L model. Any ideas?

I'm having the same exact problem with a 1998 4.0L model. Any ideas?

I finally got around to figuring it out. If you are having a similar issue and are sure that there is no binding in the cable from the shift lever to the transmission, you may need a new neutral safety switch.
The reason I held off from doing it was at first trying to remove the bolt off the shaft felt like it was going to snap. I soaked it with pb blaster and tried it a few weeks later and it came off easy, but it may be a good ideal to get a new switch before you try to remove it, mine was stuck on and I had to break it to get it off. A new switch cost between $45 and $65.

Cool, that fixed it for you then?

Back