• Register Today It's free!

Odd Rear Windshield Wiper Problem

newc5188

Reaction score
City, State
St Pete, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
When I use my rear windshield wiper, which is every morning it only wipes the sides of the rear windshield. It will do the whole motion but it wont even touch the glass in the middle. I was wonder what the problem could possibly be and how I can fix it if I can fix it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear wipers on Explorers have always been problematic, especially in the 2nd generation (95-01). There is a fix, but it involves replacing your wiper arm (Ford instroduced an "improved" version) and even then it's not guaranteed to solve the problem. I had mine replaced it works "some of the time".

Odd, no. Common, yes. Replace the arm. Mine works great now.

After replacing the arm, don't lean against it when you're out talking to your buddies leaning against the tailgate. Automatic car washes can bend them too...

I just bend mine untill it hits all the glass. After going thru the car wash I bend it again. It's kind of a ritual.

Hey I tried using one of those winter wiper blades to fix that problem, and it worked extremely well. You can get them at Autozone for like 8 or so bucks.

The main problem with a 98+ is the fact that the blade is designed for the older straight glass Explorers......The 98+ has a much rounder piece of glass.

I even have to bend mine sometimes......

Back