OEM Backup / Rearview Camera without Sync? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Backup / Rearview Camera without Sync?

bt1987

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford PIU
So I've been doing a whole lot of research, and there are thousands of threads on here to try and trawl through, but it appears I'm just going to have to rephrase the question with specifics!

I am interested in adding the OEM backup camera to my 2014 PIU. I have the 4" radio display screen and no Sync/APIM. In all of the wiring diagrams I have followed, it seems that non-Sync vehicles only came with a rearview mirror backup camera option, while Sync equipped vehicles have the video feed run directly to the APIM in the dash.

I have found various information showing people adding wiring to Pins 6 and 12 of the 4" LCD and running those back to the camera. That's interesting for sure, but the information posted along with this shows editing the APIM in Forscan.

How can you enable something in a module that doesn't exist? Is there a separate address say in the BCM that enables the rear camera? I've seen solutions that involve removing the screen for "programming" and sending it to someone. I don't have the ability to leave my vehicle only partially operable while waiting for someone else to do this for me. I'd rather just do it myself since I'm not that afraid of Forscan, but I'm not willing or interested in "bit banging," which is where you just go address by address changing hex code and observing what states and options change.

I have no interest in an aftermarket backup camera solution. If I can't get the vehicle itself to accept the OEM solution, I won't bother doing anything additional, as I don't want a separate screen and all of that.

Also, what is the part number for the camera housing? There's plenty of links to the camera part number, but no links to the housing part that replaces the blank panel on the liftgate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm...my 2017 PIU with Sync shows the camera image in the mirror.

I'll have to dig around for the 2016+ wiring diagrams.

Still not sure what is supposed to be programmed on a car without Sync to enable the camera display that seems to only function with Sync.

I think it was a no cost or low cost option to do that.

I have no interest in an aftermarket backup camera solution. If I can't get the vehicle itself to accept the OEM solution, I won't bother doing anything additional, as I don't want a separate screen and all of that.
There are aftermarket solutions that replace the rear view mirror and have an integrated screen, so no separate screen. If you get a nicer one, they are a pretty clean install and hard to differentiate from factory equipment.

There are aftermarket solutions that replace the rear view mirror and have an integrated screen, so no separate screen. If you get a nicer one, they are a pretty clean install and hard to differentiate from factory equipment.

I'm really not looking to go that route. I'm looking at OEM functionality only. If OEM doesn't work, it's not going to be added. I use my rear view mirror the least of all three mirrors out of habit (I'm a commercial driver, none of my vehicles have a rear window or interior rear mirror), so when backing up my personal vehicle, I never even look at that mirror, but the dash screen is in a convenient location while I'm scanning between side mirrors.

I'm right with you. On this there is a way to do it a member on here sells the as built data to accept it I believe his username is jrm061? Or close to that he does alot of piu upgrades

I'm really not looking to go that route. I'm looking at OEM functionality only. If OEM doesn't work, it's not going to be added. I use my rear view mirror the least of all three mirrors out of habit (I'm a commercial driver, none of my vehicles have a rear window or interior rear mirror), so when backing up my personal vehicle, I never even look at that mirror, but the dash screen is in a convenient location while I'm scanning between side mirrors.
I hear you, but I tow a trailer 5-6 days a week and if I didn't have an oe backup cam, I'd take the next best solution just so I had it, rather than going without.

If you're already scanning between side mirrors, whether you look up slightly to view an image in the rearview or look down slightly to view an image in the dash screen, it's about the same difference. I have an garmin right above my dash screen in an air vent mount and it's not that obtrusive - I would do similar for a backup cam screen if I had to have it in dash. Since you're not using your rearview, you could just remove it and replace it with a display screen for the backup cam. ;-)

I believe there is at least one person that upgraded the entire radio in their PIU to an aftermarket android unit with a large screen and it has backup cam inputs. More expensive option, but it is another option.

I myself have looked at that aftermarket Android radio because it's really nice and it has all the apps and options on it but from what I've read it's not compatible with the factory remote start meeting your heat and air will not turn on when you use the remote start I've tried contacting a few different people who have either had this radio or sell the radio to find out why this is with no luck my wife has a base without sync and I would love to put the Android in there but I don't think giving up remote start in the Northeast is a good trade off

Youngstown, OH is the midwest, not the northeast. I live in Michigan and have never seen the need for remote start. Besides, starting your vehicle yourself builds character... ;-)

Europe has a more elegant solution in the vehicle pre-heaters - not sure why that hasn't caught on here yet.

Are ya married?? Lol wife likes a warm car in the winter And yes I actually know that because I had an Astra which had a block heater fire that thing up in the morning and it was already warm.. and I really don't know why they consider us the Midwest we get the same exact weather as my sister does in Groton Connecticut

Yes.

Modern cars warm up very quickly and all of mine put out pretty decent heat within a mile or two of driving in winter. I prefer seat heaters to idling and wasting fuel. If not garaged, a heated windshield is nice, but a windshield cover is a close second so I don't have to clear snow/ice.

I may have to give a block heater a try this winter on the PIU.

I would love to buy the Android radio but trying to figure out why the hvac does not function with the remote start .. my theory is . It's aftermarket. There is no power to the radio when you use remote start if the radio has no power it doesn't know what heat or ac settings we're used until the key is in the ignition. ... If this is so tapping the main power wire to the ipc power would allow power to the radio while using remote start . I just don't want to be a guinea pig with a $500 radio

I've been able to initialize the rear camera using Forscan. Now I just need to add the appropriate camera (looking at OEM solutions to keep a stock appearance).

In the FCDIM:
7A5-01-01 x2xx xxxx xxzz (enables Rear Camera without Sync)

If the second digit is other than 0, add 2 to that number (1 becomes 3, 9 becomes B, etc).

Now I just need to find the OEM camera parts!

That is awesome info. You can also find a camera from a fusion or focus. They will work as well and just trim yourmolding on your tail gate to fit it

I think it was a no cost or low cost option to do that.

Indeed, it's a no-cost option. I didn't even realize that until I looked at the window sticker. I wonder if it's included with reverse sensing which mine also has.

Back