OEM KEYLESS ENTRY HELP...Tried searching | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM KEYLESS ENTRY HELP...Tried searching

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
O.K. forgive me if there's already a thread for this, but I tried searching.

My 94 XLT did not come with the Keyless Entry option.
I'm wondering what exactly I need to install the OEM Keyless in my truck.
Is it just the module and a key fob?
I know with mustangs, every car has the same harness(as far as options go). So if the car didn't come with fog lights, there's still the plugs sitting right there to plug some OEM lights into and the switch plugs right in too. Shlt like that. So, is the Keyless harness already in my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

NO ONE can help me out with this???

yes your correct in thinking this ..my truck (sport 2wd) if you take the dash trim off and the fake vent thats above the radio i found the 4x4 switch harness pluged into a dummy socket on the back of the fake vent .so i would think that when they were manufactured they all came with the other option harness connections.

hope this helps . . . . .

My guess would be the wires would be thear.

It was Ford's usual practice to make an universal harness, and make the options Plug-N-Play. I'd say yes, but gotta find out for sure. I want keyless entry, too!

I thought this topic would get a lot more traffic...

I think the reason for the little traffic is the cost involved. If you to a stealership you will pay out of your nose for the unit, if they can still even get it. And most times if you go to a boneyard, you may get the module, but the fobs will be gone. That means you need to to track down new fobs, think they are about $30 a pop for new ones online.

On the other hand you can get an after market keyless setup from ebay and the such for dirt cheap and they arent really all that hard to install.

Soooo...what do I need to make the OEM setup work? Just the module and fobs?
I can get the module at a local bone yard for $5.
What keyfobs do I need? Is it the standard ford one? Cuz I have about 10 of those.

I'd rather use the OEM setup than hack up my wiring installing some JC Whitney kit.

Bump

I don't know much about this - I have an aftermarket unit. I'd check to see if your Ex already has the module first. From www.keylessride.com:

0.2865259.gif

You can get Fobs for the factory unit there too. If you yank a module from a junk yard, you might be able to get Fobs using the VIN from the junk truck, but I'm not sure. Keyless Ride's number is 1-877-619-3136. You could call them and ask.

I have about 10 key fobs. I guess I just need the module. What year modules will plug into my 94 wiring? Just 91-94? or 95+ too?

^^^
Anyone have a pic of where the module is?
I have a 95 module I'd like to see if it plugs into my 94.
I removed the jack cover and I see some relays and a black box up and to the right. It's got 2 plugs going into it.

Back