Off Road Lamp install & Questions - PICS - Attn: 57Tbird | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Off Road Lamp install & Questions - PICS - Attn: 57Tbird

TFCeddieB

Reaction score
City, State
Eastern Shore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer
The first few pic's show the install of KC Daylighters/Wiring/Switch - INTERIOR

Attachments

• SwitchA.jpg
    SwitchA.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 386
  • SwitchB.jpg
    SwitchB.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 393
  • WirsInt.jpg
    WirsInt.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 399

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where I tapped in for power / fuses (2) / Wires. - UNDERHOOD - Pic. 1- Power point used in fuse box. Pic. 2- Routing the wires. Pic. 3- You can see directly above the red terminal on the battery, where i mounted a ground to the firewall. Also, the 2 fuses. Pic. 4- Directly in the center of the pic (slightly out of focus) are the 2 wires that run to each light. Actualy a pair of wires each covered with a think black conduit.

Attachments

• PwrPt.jpg
    PwrPt.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 378
  • WirRout.jpg
    WirRout.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 385
  • WirGrnd.jpg
    WirGrnd.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 385
  • WirGrlle.jpg
    WirGrlle.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 385

In these pics you can see: Pic. 1- I used nylon washers when I installed my lights to prevent metal/metal contact on the bull bar. Pic. 2- Mounted on the side of my plastic batt. cover, driver's side ballast for HID lighting. Pic. 3- Mounted on the lower part of my air intake box, pass. side ballast for HID lighting. (slightly out of focus)

Attachments

• HID2.jpg
    HID2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 381
  • HID1.jpg
    HID1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 387
  • Nylon.jpg
    Nylon.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 383

Other installs - Pioneer Navigation/Media center. The unit; The switch; The audio input.

Attachments

• AVICFrt.jpg
    AVICFrt.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 370
  • AVICSide.jpg
    AVICSide.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 361
  • AVICSwit.jpg
    AVICSwit.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 377
  • Audio.jpg
    Audio.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 360

Yes, I know... the RCA plugs need to be painted, or something. Unfortunately the only Aux. Audio Imput is on my rear seat dvd.

Last Post & Questions...

For any of you who have the 3rd row seat... if you have ever sat back there you'll know that the audio is not that great back there. You're sitting right next to the woofer & there are no other speakers in the 3rd row. I'm thinking of installing a pair of tweeters on either the B post facing the rear of the truck, or on the C post facing the front. The question - Has anyone tried this? Which mounting location would be better & where to I tap into the audio (I'm assuming rear doors, but don't know how to get to the wires other than right at the speaker). Below: Pics of B post and C post... you can see there should be plenty of room to mount a pair of tweeters somewhere on all that plastic.

Attachments

• Bpost.jpg
    Bpost.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 363
  • Cpost.jpg
    Cpost.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 367
  • Woof.jpg
    Woof.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 368

i was feeling it until the rca's lol.

you have a aux button on your headunit can you not get an adaptor from pac usspec for additional imputs from that?

if you pull the rea entertainment peice down you can cut your rcas and connect them to the back of the rca plug its really easy to do. and it plays clear.

hey I was checking out that unit its pretty cool. do you know how the back up camera is triggered? does the gps sense the vehicle going into reverse or can you select it too? I already have DVD I'm wondering if I can use it for yet another screen.

just putting tweeters on the c post would not be good,, the very high frequency sound would be all them people in that seat would hear,, you would be better off to put another full range back there, even if it was just a 3 1/2 inch 2 way on each side,,

i also have one of them wireless backup cameras in my Ex , it is triggered by the power to the camera coming from the power to the reverse lights, in the instructions that came with it, it shows how to hook it up to the wiring in behind the tail light,, ,

just curious whats the button in between the cup holders in the front do..haven't seen that before

i was feeling it until the rca's lol.

you have a aux button on your headunit can you not get an adaptor from pac usspec for additional imputs from that?

I dunno. The AUX input was already used by the factory rear dvd... there are no other AUX audio inputs other than on the rear dvd itself, which is why I did what I did.

if you pull the rea entertainment peice down you can cut your rcas and connect them to the back of the rca plug its really easy to do. and it plays clear.

I already tried that, and it's not that easy. The RCA jacks are connected directly to a circuit board... not a wire loom or something. I was not wild about the RCA cables hanging from my roof, but I'm over it now. I can't see it when I'm driving and it does not obstruct view from the back seat.

just curious whats the button in between the cup holders in the front do..haven't seen that before

It's an on/off switch for the navigation unit. The unit is designed to turn on and off when you start or stop the engine. I wanted to be able to turn it on and off when I wanted, hense the switch.

just putting tweeters on the c post would not be good,, the very high frequency sound would be all them people in that seat would hear,, you would be better off to put another full range back there, even if it was just a 3 1/2 inch 2 way on each side,,

Yes & No. The reason I was thinking tweeters is for ease of installation. Most of your 3-3.5" speakers do not include grilles, and since i'd be adding speakers (not just replacing under the stock grille)... I'd have no grille. Not cool. In addition, you have to consider mounting depth... I don't know how much room I've got under the B or C posts for mounting. One last thing... the factory Sub. puts out plenty of mid range sounds... too much really. In most normal sub setups, you won't hear male voices coming from your sub... apparently ford messed this up. The stock sub plays mid-bass and bass, which is why I was thinking tweeters would be okay.

I'm happy with the way it is because I can choose which audio source I want (including nav.) from the factory head unit & my steering wheel, which I would not be able to do otherwise... Getting another switch and installing it just to get rid of the RCA's hardly seems worth the time.

clean install! i just got done doing the same thing but with 2 hella 500's. i just ran my power wire for the switch to the battery and it works but now its causing the alternater to overload b/c i got a 1,200 watt amp too. Any way, i need to run it to the fuse box but am not really sure how. i saw one picture u had of the fuse box. so u ran that wire to that metal piece? did you need any extra fuses to plug in? any info would help thats!

nice install... and you have quad seating AND a rear lock/unlock switch :(.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clean install! i just got done doing the same thing but with 2 hella 500's. i just ran my power wire for the switch to the battery and it works but now its causing the alternater to overload b/c i got a 1,200 watt amp too. Any way, i need to run it to the fuse box but am not really sure how. i saw one picture u had of the fuse box. so u ran that wire to that metal piece? did you need any extra fuses to plug in? any info would help thats!

No extra fuses needed. 2 Fuses included with the KC wiring harness/kit. I used the post (threaded screw, +) in the underhood fuse box to get power. It's an always hot power point... So I can turn my KC's on whether or not the truck is turned on/off.

Back