• Register Today It's free!

Off Roading With the Ex for cheap

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Alright guys. My two friends with lifted Jeeps want to go on a trip to an offroad park in Pennsylvania. Now, I don't EVER expect to get my Ex as capable as their jeeps without lifting it, but at the same time I do want to do some light wheeling with it and enjoy some of the fun too. Here are my thoughts

2nd set of rims (already got a lead on some) and put 265/75R16 mud tires on them. (cheap azz mud tires are fine as they will only be on the truck when I am wheeling which isn't often/ever. This will be the hardest part to find used If I even can. I am not gonna buy brand new mud tires for my uses..

Regardless.
Remove the front air dam temporally.

I have tow hooks in case I need a tow

I have a CB (some places require one)

What else?

Like I said I don't want or need to lift it. I just want to make it as capable as possible just to have a little fun. I don't need to hit the trails they are gonna go on.

Thanks guys.

This is my Ex towing my one friends jeep cause..well..its a jeep lol.
RYWJe-9dmQl9FjQhVB4cGwsA8VxZCQLPcmPg=w1155-h651-no.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

If it weren't for towing my truck would be jacked up too probably...but I don't want to have big tires, lift, and tow all on 3.55s and a 5r55 trans. Thats asking for trouble.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not cheap but you'll need lockers if you wanna come close to goin where the heeps go. IFS IRS and that overweight body is gonna kill it

It's not cheap but you'll need lockers if you wanna come close to goin where the heeps go. IFS IRS and that overweight body is gonna kill it

Ok.. I specifically said I don't need to go where they can lol. Just want to make it a little more capable so I can have some fun too.

If you have advancetrac, you'll be more capable than I think most people give these trucks credit for. Wills05XLT4x4 on here has surprised a lot of people (Lifted big tire rolling jeeps included) with what he has accomplished on the trails in his 05. Advancetrac is almost as good as having limited slip diffs in the front and rear since it limits wheel spin when you have unequal traction between the left and right sides. Only mods that Will has been running for some time are 265/75 mud tires (Treadwright Guard Dogs...great tires and very inexpensive.....$92 a tire) and a 1.5", $50 body lift.

Ground clearance is an issue, but even though you're not lifting, the taller tires will help. The next thing is traction (which you have covered pretty well with the mud tires), and knowing what the truck can and can't do (that comes with getting out there and testing it out of course).

You've got front tow hooks taken care of. If you have the 2" rear hitch, get one of those recovery shackle inserts that go into the hitch and let you run a bow shackle in the rear hitch as an extra recovery point (Amazon sells them...I have one from Smittybuilt that has come in handy and I think was only $35 or so). Who knows, you may need to help out one of your buddies too.

Since you don't want to lift, only other mod I would recommend removing the front swaybar completely when you hit the trails. You can always reinstall it when you get back home. It's not going to make your truck a deathtrap...I have been running without mine for a year now as a lifted daily driver and I barely notice it's gone. It really helps the limited front suspension on these trucks articulate better. Better yet, it's a free mod.

Another thing you might think about if you are going to be dealing with rocks is installing one of the OEM skid plates for the fuel tank. Granted, it's not like a big piece of armor (it's some type of hard plastic), but good for peace of mind that you have an extra something under there between your fuel tank and something that might puncture it.

There's a thread on the forum that has the install write up and part numbers for everything you need if you order it from Fastpartsnetwork brand new. Or, you can look under all of the 2002-2005 heaps at the local junkyards and see if you can find one equipped with one and pull it with the associated bolts and brackets.

Another thing you might think about if you are going to be dealing with rocks is installing one of the OEM skid plates for the fuel tank. Granted, it's not like a big piece of armor (it's some type of hard plastic), but good for peace of mind that you have an extra something under there between your fuel tank and something that might puncture it.

There's a thread on the forum that has the install write up and part numbers for everything you need if you order it from Fastpartsnetwork brand new. Or, you can look under all of the 2002-2005 heaps at the local junkyards and see if you can find one equipped with one and pull it with the associated bolts and brackets.

Thank you this is the exact type of info I was looking for!! Luckily I have a lot of experience off roading in these with the same tires I have now and they are pretty dang good. With these little modifications I am hoping to just take that experience to a slightly higher level. No advance trac and open diff is really my weakest point. I'd love to get a locker for the rear...just don't know if I can justify it. That being said, maybe I am better off with the stock size all terrains and a spend the money on a locker. Realistically I would use a locker (or a good LS) all the time whereas the tires would not be used often.

As for the 2in recovery thingie that stock tow chain loops are really strong so I probably don't even need one, but my frined has a spare one anyway so I would deff pop it in. I didn't even think of that for some reason.

Underneath the truck most of the stuff is decently protected but I would love to protect the radiators somehow. Any ideas there?

Any reason I couldn't remove the rear sway bar as well for the trip?

Edit: I will definitely look into the tank skidder plate as well.

If you don't have the advancetrac then a locker is the way to go. Hands down one of the best offroad mods you can do on these trucks. My 04 was a beast, never ever got stuck when I had one. If you're swapping in a different diff anyway, then it's a no-brainer to install a locker while you're at it: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318076

The Aussie locker required some modifying but if you go with the Standard Gear Spartan Locker it's cheaper and a direct fit.

Note: Shameless advertisement below

It just so happens I have a brand new in box Spartan locker for the 8.8 for sale, and the price is better than you'll find just about anywhere:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396169

PM me if you are interested.

Thank you this is the exact type of info I was looking for!! Luckily I have a lot of experience off roading in these with the same tires I have now and they are pretty dang good. With these little modifications I am hoping to just take that experience to a slightly higher level. No advance trac and open diff is really my weakest point. I'd love to get a locker for the rear...just don't know if I can justify it. That being said, maybe I am better off with the stock size all terrains and a spend the money on a locker. Realistically I would use a locker (or a good LS) all the time whereas the tires would not be used often.

As for the 2in recovery thingie that stock tow chain loops are really strong so I probably don't even need one, but my frined has a spare one anyway so I would deff pop it in. I didn't even think of that for some reason.

Underneath the truck most of the stuff is decently protected but I would love to protect the radiators somehow. Any ideas there?

Edit: I will definitely look into the tank skidder plate as well.

I personally wouldn't use those chain loops on the hitch for recovery, but if it's all you have, then it's better than nothing I guess.

For the radiator, I took a Curt front mount hitch receiver and cut off the hitch part. Then I welded some 1/4 plate to the bottom of it so it would act as a skid plate for the radiator. I added some bow shackle mounts also, since by installing it I'd be losing any space I had for tow hooks. Has come in handy for sure:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3142550&postcount=77

I suppose you could take off the rear swaybar also for the trip. Never tried it myself so I can't say how it is driving with no swaybars at all.

I personally wouldn't use those chain loops on the hitch for recovery, but if it's all you have, then it's better than nothing I guess.

For the radiator, I took a Curt front mount hitch receiver and cut off the hitch part. Then I welded some 1/4 plate to the bottom of it so it would act as a skid plate for the radiator. I added some bow shackle mounts also, since by installing it I'd be losing any space I had for tow hooks. Has come in handy for sure:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3142550&postcount=77

I suppose you could take off the rear swaybar also for the trip. Never tried it myself so I can't say how it is driving with no swaybars at all.

More great advice thanks. Like I said, I will borrow my friends 2in recover recovery thing for the trip. Or buy one for that matter I could use one.

Now I just have to put these ideas into action

Are you towing your friends jeep on the trip? if so you may wanna rethink removing that rear swaybar, I've personally never towed with a third gen, but I could just imagine having that big heavy trailer and having it sway on you without the rear swaybar.

Buy a hi-lift jack if you don't have one already.

Are you towing your friends jeep on the trip? if so you may wanna rethink removing that rear swaybar, I've personally never towed with a third gen, but I could just imagine having that big heavy trailer and having it sway on you without the rear swaybar.

Buy a hi-lift jack if you don't have one already.

Nah not towing him on the trip. That was just when he broke down. That being said I have towed with a lot of pickups and full size suvs in the past and that explorer towed that load a lot better than expected. If I were towing it though neither sway bar would be coming off for sure!!! I don't mess around towing way too dangerous to go outside the limits if you ask me.

Ok.. I specifically said I don't need to go where they can lol. Just want to make it a little more capable so I can have some fun too.

Reread my post buddy, I said come close not follow them lol

Reread my post buddy, I said come close not follow them lol

Woah....SORRYYY:):)

Regardless it looks like I am on the rear locker bandwagon anyway. If I am willing to sacrifice the coin I think it makes more sense to have a locker and my cooper discover at3 vs 1.6 more inches of clearance and mud tires...

Even if it doesn't make sense for the off road trip I would rather do that because the locker is something I would use all the time. Especially for towing off road when I am scrapping. Sometimes it can be hard even in 4 wheel to tow a few thousand pounds through the mud.

I didn't mean to offend in that post btw so sorry if I did. I just didn't want people to miss the point of the the thread if they took your post the way that I did. Thats all.

Lol you ain't gonna offend me. Locker is a very good idea. For mud your explorer is great. It's tight, rutted/torn up trails that'll get ya. But the locker will help when tires start getting airborne (and they will in a 3rd gen)

Lol you ain't gonna offend me. Locker is a very good idea. For mud your explorer is great. It's tight, rutted/torn up trails that'll get ya. But the locker will help when tires start getting airborne (and they will in a 3rd gen)

Oh I know!! I was playing in the back woods at my house to see what she could do and I was on three tires most of the time!

I broke down and bought the locker. Found the spartan for 264 only three left I had to buy it. The American male in me wouldn't allow otherwise

Back