• Register Today It's free!

ohc vs sohc

Reaction score
City, State
Caracas, Venezuela
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
ohv vs sohc

I have a 2000 Explorer Sport and I have a 4.0 v6 engine with something called ohv i want to know what is the diference betwen sohc and ohv because mine has 160hp and the sohc has 205 ????¡¡¡¡?¡?¡ i dont get it.......
another thing is it posible to make an ohv engine into a sohc one??
well hope someone knows the asnwer
:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 160 HP motor is a OHV not an OHC; Overhead Valve. They are 2 completely different motors.

never heard of a ohc but there is an OHV. No there is no way to convert it. The OHV is an entirely different engine. You would have to do an entire engine swap.

Ok first off your engine is the OHV not OHC.

It means that there is a cam in each head on the SOHC (as opposed to a cam housed in the block in the OHV) which makes it more efficient with the fuel it uses.

It is not possible to convert the engine, however with some work you can swap to an SOHC.

my bad "ohv not ohc"

Thank you for the information and my bad for using the term ohc intead of ohv.....
would any of you know what can i do to make my engine stronger, the reason is that i´m running 285/75 with 4.10 gear and i have too much extra weigh i have front and rear custom made bumpers, roofrack and i´m working on a roll cage and i feel i´m misssing engine power..
any sugestion?¡?¡
(i already have a k&n conical filter)

I would start with a KKM intake and a custom cat back exhaust system.

Good luck.....

Upgrading to 4.56 gears will help also.

well I have 35's and rocksliders and a huge speakerbox as well as a fat ass 340lb friend who rides with me and I tell ya with the k&n filter and cutting my exaust off right past the cat mine has a hellava lot of balls comming from the stock 3.27 gears, especially in 4-low, i am however putting the 4.56 gears this weekend and so will have more power than used to, good luck you heavy non-powered one but remember this is a 4.0 not a 5.o v8 , I plan on shaving my heads .024 and adding headers and a supercharger to get mine up to speed . later, mike:D

If you got the $$$, talk to Alec about his supercharger. That would give you some added power.

madmike
Do you have any idea how much does a set of 4.56 gear will be for my explorer, because i was thinking of that but i have no idea on the prices????
also my front transmition has limeted slip, so i have to change it when i change gears?¡?¡?¡

Originally posted by Ricky-venezuela

also my front transmition has limeted slip

What's that ricky?

Your front end has limited slip? Are you sure?

well jason-25 thats what ford here in venezuela told me....
i complained about a freeking noise i had when i was 4h or 4L and i turn the wheels all the way to one side while 4wheeling, and the wheels jumped...
i told this to the ford people and their answer was:
you have something called limeted slip on the front end, it sound because one wheel try to travel equal to the other and it slip (only happened on the road, not in mud or sand) and they show me some books showing that....
so thats why i said i have a limited slip front end-....

did ford release a front lim slip to other countries but not us?

Ricky if you could find more info on that front limited slip, alot of people here would be very grateful. If you could maybe you could ask your ford dealer what the part number is and if you could order it.

I don't think he has a limited slip upfront. Read what they described to him.... That is how our 4x4 works in a dry surface... He's getting the popping and clunking from the front end binding on a hard surface.

Ricky - DO NOT USE 4X4 HI or LO on pavement unless you want to pay Ford the cost of a new front end.

After re-reading Ricky's post, it appears that TPLYNCH has hit the nail on the head. Ricky mentions when he was in 4h or 4L and he turned the wheels all the way to one side while 4wheeling, and the wheels jumped. He then goes on to say that it only happened on the road, not in mud or sand. That is exactly what will happen under those circumstances, not because of a limited slip in the front, but because the front and rear driveshafts are locked together. In mud and sand the front wheels can slip with relation to the rear wheels so you don't feel it. On pavement, there is too much traction that when the front end relieves the built up tension from turning, you feel and hear it. Enough times and you will be buying expensive Ford parts, probably even more expensive in Venezuala. Ricky, don't use 4H or 4L when on the pavement if you want your drivetrain to last.

Well my friends it sounds logical what you say, i was just telling you what ford told me.....
the other thing i did and it make me think i have LS front end is that the other day in the shop i was changing the shocks and my explorer was 4 wheels off the ground, my mecanic started the engine and put 4h, he made the wheels turn and he told me to hold one of the rear tiers, guess what, it stoped and the other one kept turning, but in the front, it was imposible to keep one tire stopped it stops for a second and tries to keep turning, he told me that only happens when you have limited slip,???
could some one tell if i can do any other test in order to be sure obout what i have???'''

Back