Oil catch can / who has installed it and how much oil becomes "catched" ? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil catch can / who has installed it and how much oil becomes "catched" ?

This is about 1K miles on my RX catch can

On what vehicle? I drilled a .060 hole on the outlet of the IC and catch about a tablespoon a week. The front valve cover is vented to atmoshpere, the rear valve cover to inlet caught nothing, the inside of the line didn't even have any residue when wiped with a clean tissue after a few thousand miles.

* I was using a spare air compressor oil/ air separator on the rear cover to intake manifold just to see if it was worth buying an actual catch can, didn't even leave a film in the container, so I removed it and ran the stock setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a LOT of research before getting a catch can for Explorer (after looking into it 3 years ago for my Ecoboost Mustang).
Google it, go on Youtube, and look up comparisons... IMOHO you get what you pay for.
I did the $300+ RX catch can, and based on the bottle of crap in photo above, I am content with my purchase.

Do you have pictures of how yours installed? Did you use the Universal Z-bracket and mount it in a similar location as the one in the OP Video?

$100 from Rx for a black braided line vs a rubber line. Wow.... and what is the EcoBoost sensor for 2015 and newer for?

Thanks!

Dont have install photos (sorry, in a hurry to get it in one cold day in November). Maybe will take a few now...

I mounted can to just above radiator bracket, basically right in front of filler "710" oilcap.
I did have to CUT the engine cover to have it clear catch can.
Got the basic RX dual kit, rubber hoses, and did get the "fitting" (for $15) which I did not use.

Dont have install photos (sorry, in a hurry to get it in one cold day in November). Maybe will take a few now...

I mounted can to just above radiator bracket, basically right in front of filler "710" oilcap.
I did have to CUT the engine cover to have it clear catch can.
Got the basic RX dual kit, rubber hoses, and did get the "fitting" (for $15) which I did not use.
710 cap. LOL.

Not looking for install photos just more the final end of how it looks in the engine bay.

I am likely going to be removing the engine cover here the next few days. I am a fan of seeing the engine and not a plastic cover. I am looking at the Rx and will perhaps install it back by the low side pressure AC line like the JLT one. No drilling, just need to use the universal plate or fab my own custom plate.

Have you or anyone had any issues or hassled at the dealership for when they add a catch can and then bring their vehicle in? From what I can understand what I was told when I bought my car about mods was if there was anything done that would change the function of the sensors then that is what would "void warranty" unless you can prove that it was not the cause of the failure. The catch can is not altering or changing the function of anything so should be no issue but can see some dealerships using it as "ammunition" to decline work under warranty.

Has anyone had any experience installing a catch can for their 3.5L ecoboost explorer with positive results? There seem to be alot of options out there ranging from $100-500.

Has anyone had any experience installing a catch can for their 3.5L ecoboost explorer with positive results? There seem to be alot of options out there ranging from $100-500.
Your thread was merged with this one. There are members here who have installed them on their 3.5L Ecoboosts. There are a few more threads on the oil catch can you should be able to find with the 'Search' feature in the upper right of the page.

Peter

I went ahead and bought a UPR dual valve plug and play catchcan (paid way too much to have it shipped to me here in Canada) and it has been collecting a few ounces every month during the summer months.
This will be the first winter with it and I imagine it will collect more, as I now idle longer and there is more condensation buildup and that will also be collected inside the can with oil vapors.

This is about 1K miles on my RX catch can:
enhance
I have the UPR dual valve catch can system and pull a similar amount of crap from it on the same interval. Glad I had the catch can installed when the xSport was basically new.

The photo in previous post if from January, where there is significantly more water vapor in winter months. Volume is "shotglass" of oil in summer months.

The photo in previous post if from January, where there is significantly more water vapor in winter months. Volume is "shotglass" of oil in summer months.

Definitely agree...I collect more in the winter than summer. Over the last 5500 miles I’ve collected about 2 ozs...but I don’t push my 18 Sport very hard.

I have the UPR dual valve catch can system and pull a similar amount of crap from it on the same interval. Glad I had the catch can installed when the xSport was basically new.
Do you notice the smell of the oil vapors since installing the UPR catch-can.
I didn't notice it too much, but now my coworker, whom I sold the EX too says the smell is more apparent.
I will likely uninstall the catch-can for him, as he doesn't care to have it on.

I have a 2018 Explorer Sport. I am averaging about a touch over 1/2 Tablespoon in the catch can every 2000 miles. Does that seem Low normal or high? Other than being thinned out the oil I am draining out looks normal as in no foreign or debris or moisture. Current mileage 12K installed around 4K and pretty religiously drain every 2K miles.

I have a 2018 Explorer Sport. I am averaging about a touch over 1/2 Tablespoon in the catch can every 2000 miles. Does that seem Low normal or high? Other than being thinned out the oil I am draining out looks normal as in no foreign or debris or moisture. Current mileage 12K installed around 4K and pretty religiously drain every 2K miles.

Matches what I get out of my 18 Sport.

Do you notice the smell of the oil vapors since installing the UPR catch-can.
I didn't notice it too much, but now my coworker, whom I sold the EX too says the smell is more apparent.
I will likely uninstall the catch-can for him, as he doesn't care to have it on.
Yes, I have on occasion, and usually only at startup do I notice it. When I notice it, I pull the can, and every time it’s pretty full. After re-installation the smell disappears.

Can't speak about my '18 Platinum, but my C5 Corvette has a catch-can system using a Campbell Hausfeld moisture separator used on air compressors originating at the PCV and reconnecting in the throttlebody. In 5K miles I get about a teaspoon. The Vette is not dogged by I do have fun with her.

That said, your driving style will determine the amount of blowby issues you incurr. Does the can work: YES, is the can necessary: MAYBE, is the can a must have: PROBABLY NOT.

JMHO

Back