• Register Today It's free!

Oil change, I know another one.

PachecoFTW

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
So basically i have a 2002 explorer with around 210000 miles on it.
Since its my third vehicle and second ford i though why not ask about proper oil chang.
Up until know ive ran GMC and mopars but thats because its what my family had but recently wheve been only buying fords and have had great luck and loved them.
The oil ive been using is generic but in switching to full synthetic high mileage.
Usuing Motorcraft oil filters.
Anybody suggest different?
My brother swears by royal purple and mobil1 for his japanses cars.
My harley rider freinds too but i think ill start with penzoil and quaker then royal purple anybsuggestions tip?
Thanks and by the way im new to the forum so let the riffing begin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like to use the Motorcraft filters with the Motorcraft synthetic blend in my fords.I have tried other fancy filters like the expensive Mobil 1 filters and Bosch and other kinds of high end filters that are very expensive like 20$ or more and i find while they keep the oil cleaner for longer that they are to restrictive.I get more valve train noise in my 06 escape and my 98 mountaineer.I switched back to the motor craft filters and have less valve train noise.I find that the more heavy they feel the better they filter but seem to restrict some flow.Also motorcraft oils and filters are cheaper.The other good thing is that your ford dealer has that stuff in stock.I just drop the truck off at the dealer and go do some chores.I have a good dealer by me so that does make all the difference.

I have a lot of vehicles to maintain, so I want to limit the number of oil changes I have to do. I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Extended Performance (EP) 5W30 and 10W30 oil. It is good for 12 months or 15,000 miles. My vehicles typically don't get anywhere near 15,000 miles in 12 months, but because I'm only changing the oil and oil filter once a year I use a 15,000 mile oil filter (like PurolatorBoss) on the vehicles that will exceed 5000 miles in 12 months. On my vehicles that only travel 3,000-5,000 miles in 12 months I use Motorcraft oil filters.

I find Walmart has the best price on Mobil 1. I see where Mobil 1 has just come out with a new oil that will also allow 15,000 mile oil changes, but it's $50 for the jug, where their EP oil is only $25.

People seem to have very strong opinions on oil brands. I've been using Mobil 1 for almost 25 years and have good luck with it, but any good quality synthetic oil is a good choice when used with a good oil filter. I tend to stay away from oils like Royal Purple because IMO it's more gimmick and hype (at a premium price) than offering additional protection. Even using a convention oil (not recommended for our engines) a good oil filter and changing your oil every 3000 miles or 3 months isn't a bad way to go if you enjoy changing your oil.

At your mileage, whatever damage and wear that has been done can't be reversed. The best you can do is to try to minimize addition wear going forward.

Our V6 motors must have 5W30. They were never downspeced to use 20. Will they blow up? Wonder if using 5W20 accelerates the SOHC guide problems. Many places use 5W20 for everything.

I change oil/filter every 6000 miles. I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic and a Motorcraft oil filter.

Our V6 motors must have 5W30. They were never downspeced to use 20. Will they blow up? Wonder if using 5W20 accelerates the SOHC guide problems. Many places use 5W20 for everything.

The guide problem is not oil related. It's that plastic breaks.

I change oil and filter about twice a year. It's probably not enough. I run strictly Motorcraft filters because my Expedition requires a weird filter, an FL-500S, that doesn't readily match up at any parts store, and, IMO, it's easier to not have to cross reference anything. I run 10W30 in everything from my lawnmower to my generators to all three trucks. One engine is rated for 5W20 but there's a thousand different opinions on what weight of oil to use. That oil is actually a little too light for the mower, but if that big Briggs engine burns up or leaks, it's a whole lot easier to rebuild than the one in my truck.
The two larger trucks have 4.6 liter engines, one Windsor with 170K and one Romeo with a quarter million miles. They are both quiet as church mice. My Explorer does rattle a tiny bit but hasn't given me serious issues until about three coolant leaks showed up.
One thing: Do NOT run any type of oil additives, period. If it's leaking, either refill it periodically or fix it. An old friend got sick from those and I never could get it to recover. I had run Lucas oil stuff in that F-150 for several years. Some bottle fixes, the Lucas included, are good products but they are no replacement for a Saturday in the garage fixing a leak. Some can slow a problem down but they won't fix it completely.

Cool thanks guy this helps, i decided to run motorcraft oil filters exclusively and will switch between motorcraft synthetic and quaker state high milage syntheic see if theres a difference.
Intervels will be at under 5k miles or at 4.5k strict.
I love working on my cars aint nothing like a sunday with a ford or mopar taken apart and workin on em.

See my mountaineer falls in a weird category.My oil gets old before it gets used and it still is nasty at 3K miles.It is lucky to see 3,000 miles a year.I do at the most 2 oil changes a year.I keep it in storage about 6 months of the year in MI.I would loose it to rust if i didin't.Driving it during the winter would only add to my rust repair bill coming up.It was built in 97 so its 20 years old now.Most vehicles in MI only make it to 15 years at the most till the salt gets ya.

Back