Oil change reminder kicked on early? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil change reminder kicked on early?

jseabolt

Reaction score
City, State
Kingsport, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limted V8
One day for no apparant reason when I started my '06 Explorer V8, the Oil change reminder kicked on.

I keep a record of all my maintence on my vehicles and normally change the oil every 5000 miles on everything I own regardless.

When I looked in my records, the next oil change wasn't due for another 2000 miles. I know I reset the reminder because otherwise it doesn't go away on it's own.

So after 3000 miles, the oil reminder light kicked on. Normally the change oil light does not kick on until after 5000 miles.

Does the '06 models have some sort of monitor like some GM vehicles that tells you when it's time to change the oil or is this reminder based on a mileage oddometer?

Someone please explain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i do not have the v8 but on mine the light goes off every 6 months or 7000 miles whatever comes first. check your owners manual it should tell you in there.

edit i looked at the 06 manual it resets the oil to 5000 miles or 180 days whathever comes first

Based on the info you've provided I believe your oil life start value is not set to 100%

Oil Life Start Value:
1. Select this function from the
SETUP MENU for the current
display mode.
2. Press and hold the
SELECT/RESET control switch to
reset oil change.
3. Press the SELECT/RESET control switch for the next SETUP MENU
item or wait for more than 4 seconds to return to the INFO MENU.
Note: Oil Life Start Value of 100% equals 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or
180 days. For example, setting Oil Life Start Value to 60% sets the Oil
Life Start Value to 3,000 miles (4,828 km) and 120 days.

Reset Oil Life:
To reset the oil monitoring system to 100% after each oil change
[approximately 5,000 miles (8,000 km) or 180 days] perform the
following:
1. Enter SYSTEM CHECK to display
“OIL x..% RESET IF NEW”.
2. Press SELECT/RESET control
switch to display “HOLD RESET IF
NEW OIL”.
3. Press and hold the
SELECT/RESET control switch for
more than 2 seconds. Oil life is set
to 100% and “OIL CHANGE SET TO
100%” is displayed.
Note: To change oil life 100% miles value from 5,000 miles (8,000 km)
or 180 days to another value, refer to the Oil Life Start Value selected
from the SETUP MENU in this section.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/07p27og4e.pdf

That makes sense. I didn't know the computer kept track of the number of days since the oil was last changed. I had been almost a year since I had changed it last.

What I didn't mention was I had put my Explorer up for sale (due to financial reasons) and cleaned it up back in August of last year and it was driven maybe less than 100 miles until a couple of months ago. I finally took it off the market back in November when I saw that it wasn't going to sell. Plus my wife thought we needed a second AWD vehicle to make it up our driveway in the winter.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/tu...page=0&_suid=14243231838800060484810486209684

I listed it for $10,000 or best offer knowing someone was going to haggle with me. Eventually dropping it down to $9300 which was a few hundred dollars below NADA private seller which was what I owed on it at the time.

As usual I kept getting the "what's your bottom dollar" responses. No real offers.

I would have taken $8000 for it but knew if I listed it for that someone would try to get me down even more. Maybe the "haggle" price drove some prospective buyers away.

I had plans on reposting it during our first major snowstorm of the year which occured Monday. Hoping it might draw some interest but by that time my wife decided we needed to keep it.

One guy did lowball me at $5000 but he was a used car salesman. He said there was no market for V8 SUVs anymore. For that price I might as well drop it off at the credit union I financed it through and let them auction it off and pay the difference. But didn't want to hurt my credit rating.

The vehicle was in good shape. It does have a few things going against it. A bad respray of the rear end due to a rear end collision causing paint to bubble on the rear bumper. Why won't paint to stick to plastic when it's repainted? I've seen this happen on several vehicles.

One of the 3rd row seats won't go up. One guy pointed out that this was an important feature to him so it was a deal breaker unless I either fixed it or knocked $800 off the price that the dealer wanted to fix it.

That spare tire ratting noise I mentioned in another post.

V8 engines consume more gas. But I'd rather have the power over a V6 any day.

And it had 126,000 miles on it. Which really for an 9 year old vehicle I don't think is really that excessive.

I get this one call from a guy who thought 126,000 miles was high mileage. I was sitting in my 68 Ford Fairlane 500 at the time which has 54,000 original miles on it (belong to my Grandmother).

I was tempted to tell him," I'm sitting in a 1968 Ford right now with 54,000 original miles on it, what do you think about that?".

These people piss me off. Years ago people seemed more fair when it come to buying used cars. Now all they want to do is low ball you and try to get something for nothing.

I'm out of buying new or used cars. You buy a new one and get ripped off from the dealership or try to sell a used one and get ripped off by the buyer.

2007 Sport Trac MPG:
XLT 4.0L V6 15 / 21
XLT 4.6L V8 15 / 21
Limited 4.0L V6 15 / 21
XLT 4.0L V6 4WD 15 / 20
Limited 4.6L V8 15 / 21
XLT 4.6L V8 4WD 15 / 20
Limited 4.0L V6 4WD 15 / 20
Limited 4.6L V8 4WD 15 / 20

Back