oil guage slipped below the limiter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oil guage slipped below the limiter

Electrohacker

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Clinton Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8 4WD
I was wondering if theres a simple way to pull out the guage cluster so I could fix my oil preasure guage... smewhere durring my thermostat fix it slipped below the limiter...

kinda minor since I've never had a preasure problem and I checked the oil level

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont understand how changing a thermostat would even play a role in your gage. Are you saying that the pointer for your pressure is below the litte pin that holds it in place?

yes below the pin

and it shouldnt be related at all... but that's when it happened

I wouldnt try to mess with the gage. I havent had a explorer cluster out in a while but from what i remember you cant open them up. Check your pressure switch and make use it is not grounded out, maybe disconnect it and see if it goes all the way back around.

where's that at? I have a chiltons manual if you want to give me a clue as to section or page to look at

Gosh off the top of my head i dont remember but check by the oil filter in that area. Hope this helps.

the chiltons say front left under the rocker arm cover... I could have bumped it while I was working

Need more ideas, bump

I have the exact same problem on my 2000 X with the V8. I have not attacked this one yet but in my research it is right behind the left front tire and can be accessed without taking the tire off.......although a bit cumbersome. I think you will need to remove or bend the wheel liner out of the way.

I was going to replace the $7 sensor and if the needle doesn't reset i thought about drilling a 1/16" hole in the cluster plexi and try to manipulate the needle with a piece of wire.

I can't imaging how it got snugged up UNDER that pin either!!!

Let me know how it works out for you please!!

it's strange because when the truck is off the needle goes down, so it is reading pressure correctly

If the needle moves then I would disconnect and or replace the sensor. I bet it is malfunctioning.

so i bought a used gauge cluster from the junkyard and tore it apart...

the fix is simple, the oil gauge is a brushless motor so when it turns past 90 or so the needle decides to go the other way. I just need to open my gauge cluster and flip the needle manually

How hard is it to open the gauge cluster??

Search "remove gauge cluster" yields this thread...

CLICK ME

Search is your friend, guys...

thanks for the useless post joe, I already found like 5 threads on how to do that and not to mention i had to do that at the junk yard, my last post was like a "I figured it out" post

The reply was a link for Delta Dog who wanted to know how to open up a cluster.

Sorry to offend your ego, Electrohacker. Next time I'll direct a reply to a member directly, since you're so easily offended.

Thanks for supporting the forum.

Jeezus- carry on. :rolleyes:

Well......I took the easy way out and drilled a tiny hole in the plexi, dead center of the oil gauge. I then took a piece of copper, single strand picture wire and bent it in a lazy S shape. In 20 seconds I had the needle on TOP of the limiter pin........:biggthump

Cranked her up and the needle jumped to the middle of the range......right where it oughta be!!!

I filled the little hole with a tiny dab of clear silicone so dust couldn't get in and you can barely notice it is there. Of course I notice it but I guarantee my wife and/or daughter will never know........but then again they never knew the gauge was not working to begin with......must be a guy thing!!!

Back