• Register Today It's free!

Oil leak and Starter

burning_soul07

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer XLT
There is oil leaking directly back from the oil drain plug about 2 inches away tward the rear of the truck... is this the rear mail seal? Its going drip drip about every 3 to 4 seconds.

Also, the starter is just clicking at that little thing by the battery mounted on the pass side above the wheel well. Is it the starter or is this thing thats mounted here going bad.

Thanks guys, Brad

The thing mounted on the fender has 2 big terminals, and they may have plastic caps on them. If so just slip off the caps.

Now, there's a nice way and a dirty way to do this next part:

The nice way is to have someone turn the key to start and see if there is voltage on both of the big terminals. If it is only on one of the big terminals, then the thing on the fender is bad. it would be called a starter relay, and that will cost $10-25 depending on where you shop. If you replace it, PLEASE disconnect the battery. One of those lugs is straight off the battery and if accidently grounded could explode the battery. It has happened to a close friend, and he was lucky he was wearing glasses. Disconnect the battery before working on starter circuit.

The dirty way is to take a screwdriver you don't like very much and cross the two big terminals. This is pretty much straight from the battery so be careful not to ground anything when you do it. You may get some major sparks and the starter may start turning. If so, then, again, the relay is bad. If nothing happens when you cross them, then the starter is bad, or very possibly, there is an issue with the cable going from the relay to the starter. Do not buy another starter without testing the old one. I have heard of issues with that cable and corrosion. Another thing to verify is that the gound cable is good to the block. Make sure the battery connections look clean and strong.

I'll leave the oil to someone else.

Already tried to start by crossing with a screwdriver. Haven't checked voltage.

It looks like this truck is going to the junk yard. There is too much of a list of whars wrong with this thing. As much as I have loved this x I kinda came upon it as what one wold call a severly undermaintanced truck.

The starter would start when we held the key then slammed the passanger door. But now it is just not starting.

Back