Oil Pressure Gauge Going Crazy | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Pressure Gauge Going Crazy

Hello,
My oil pressure gauge started acting strange the other day. When I have been driving for 20 minutes or so and the engine is hot the oil pressure gauge starts jumping from high to low vary fast. It only does it at idle or below 1000rpm. It does appear to be effected by turning the air conditioning on and off or revving the engine but only slightly. Also load seems to be an issue. When the car is in drive it is much worse than when it is in neutral or park. I have posted a video on youtube.

Best I can figure is either a grounding issue or sensor issue. But I am stumped.

Quick video

Detailed (rev engine, turn AC on/Off, etc..)

That's funny my ford explorer sport trac does the same thing only when I give it gas to pass another car my alarm will buzz and I have know pressure when I come to a light I have to Rev it up but my temperature goes hot then back to the center of gage what the hell is wrong?

That's funny my ford explorer sport trac does the same thing only when I give it gas to pass another car my alarm will buzz and I have know pressure when I come to a light I have to Rev it up but my temperature goes hot then back to the center of gage what the hell is wrong?
That’s not temperature, it’s oil pressure. It doesn’t show an analog value, just on/off. Looks like a gage problem to me.

The way to sort this out is to attach a mechanical gauge. A healthy engine should show at least 10 psi at idle. Perhaps a bit less when fully warmed up, but nowhere near 5 - which is the point where the dash gauge switches from L to N

Back