• Register Today It's free!

Oil pressure gauge issue

Wyoguy222

Reaction score
City, State
Rapid City, SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Ford Explorer
So over the past few years my oil pressure gauge has always read slightly lower than the middle. However today, I happened to look at it while driving, and it was all the way down on the red line. I panicked, pulled over and checked for leaks and checked my oil level. Oil was changed 2 weeks ago. It was still on full and no leaks.

Started truck back up and I had oil pressure again, then as driving it dropped to the red line again. HOWEVER, not once did my "check gage" light turn on. Everything else I've read the gage light has turned on. Since mine did not turn on, does this mean it's just the oil pressure gauge/sender unit? Wouldn't the check gage light only come on if there was really a problem.

I did go to the store this evening and had pressure again, but on way home it dropped to the red line again? If there really wasn't pressure, truck would be dead right?

I have a 95 explorer, 281,000 miles!

Sweet! thanks :) and thank you for the link! Love this site!

Are you aware that we don't really have an oil pressure gauge in our Explorers? Just an idiot light system that moves the needle of the 'gauge' to the middle when we have about 7 psi and stays there no matter how high the oil pressure really is.

Your recent oil change may have disturbed some "gunk" that hasn't found its way to your filter yet. Sometimes some "gunk" will get into the narrow passage going to the oil pressure switch causing it to misinterpret how much pressure is being applied. Try removing the oil pressure switch and clean out the passage.

Back