• Register Today It's free!

Oil Question

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
I bought my Explorer used. The oil that came in it and what I have been using for the past year is 10W-30. I read in the owners manual that 5W-30 was recommended.

My question is, if I start using 5W-30, will the grade change hurt the engine in any way?

Also, I want to start changing my own oil. How easy(hard:rolleyes: ) is it to get to and change the oil filter?

Thanks for the info...
Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is real easy to do. You won't hurt your engine by changing to 5w. Just use what the owners manual recommends for your driving/climate.

I had to use a regular wrench to get my oil filter off but some oil filter wrenches should be able to grab the oil filter...its in there with not a lot of room to get to

For your first oil change it might be hard to get the oil filter off but after that you should only hand tighten it. No wrench. The oil filter is easy enough to get to.

I use the oil weight that Ford recommends: 5W30. I am switching to synthetic on my next oil change, however. I've been seeing some good results in the way of better gas mileage from some people on here. You may want to go that route.

I would highly recommend changing your oil yourself. That way, you can be sure there aren't any mistakes (forgotten drain plug, loose/overtightened filter, etc.) and you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I said it before and I'll say it again: Dead Link Removed Of course, that thread turned into a different discussion but the thought is still there.;)

Not only do DIY oil changes save you $$$, but it forces you to reguarly be under your truck. Dad and I always lay under the vehicle with a flash/shop light and check out everything under there... you can spot leaks in the earliest stage if you keep a clean vehicle and do this simple inspection. I just like to see how my truck works, and I always keep a watchful eye on potentially expensive problems (like split CV boots).

Also, to make your life easier, get one of these oil filter pullers....

Dead Link Removed

I think Craftsman might make it too... I think ours is SK.

OK, I got to looking at where the drain plug is located under the vehical. Is that the drain plug located on the passenger side on the side of the oil pan? I thought:rolleyes: the drain plug would be on the bottom so that all of the oil could drain straight out.

Also, what do you guys do with the used oil?

Michael

Yes, the plug is on the side of the Pan....it did not make sense to me, but so be it!

Here is a thread that may save you some time in the future...it describes the Drain Valves. This thread also has shematic of the drain pan and valve.

Dead Link Removed

I changed the oil in my 96 V8 for the first time and certainly not the last. I did use a filter wrench, but did NOT torque down when tightening.

You can take your used oil to just about any Autoparts store for recycling.

I want to order the Fumoto drain valve for my 1997 Explorer with SOHC engine. Is the adapter needed for this drain plug?

Thanks,
Michael

Back