• Register Today It's free!

Oil Viscosity

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
I see where my local parts store is now stocking Motorcraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend motor oil. My 2007 Explorer (4.6L V8 with 120K miles) is burning a little oil, about 1 qt every 2K miles. Ford specifies 5W-20 oil for this engine.

Any harm in going with the 5W-30 synthetic blend oil? Think it might reduce the oil burning? Any other thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure how it would affect the phasers, VCT solenoids and tensioners. I would probably not do it.

The fact that is burning oil so more troublesome. I am on my second v8 in my 2006 and it would not burn any oil.

Elsewhere in the world Ford specifies 5w30 for the exact same engine. There's no harm in using it, expect a small drop in MPG but the oil will have better heat sheer resistance. The Ford Tech on YouTube I like to follow actually recommends 5w30 to help protect the timing components of the 4.6/5.4 motors.

Elsewhere in the world Ford specifies 5w30 for the exact same engine.
Can you back that up with links? I honestly don't believe it's a deal breaker but you seem to have some extra knowledge in the matter.

Can you back that up with links? I honestly don't believe it's a deal breaker but you seem to have some extra knowledge in the matter.
Here he claims in Brazil and Australia the specified oil is 5w30
He also seems to think its far better for the cam phasers especially when combined with the Melling M360 high volume oil pump.

Searching around most places do say outside the US they recommend different weights instead of 5w20 they do here in the US. I do not have documentation from those other countries.

Why a blend when pure synthetic oil is available at the same or less costly price! Blend implies a mix but you have no idea if its 1 part out of 4 etc. This engine is faily sensitive and max protection is need IMO. If you're going to give it a go then Get full synthetic. Pennzoil, QuakerState, Rotella, Castrol which are all name brands.

As for other countries spec's on oil different. I may be some parts are different in those engines!!!

Back