OK, here is what my local spring shop told me to do for the rear lift... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, here is what my local spring shop told me to do for the rear lift...

davebar

Reaction score
City, State
Kirtland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
1st problem I am having is finding F150 springs in North East ohio. They are all rusted or too worn out.

So, I called a few spring shops. 1 out 5 was willing to look at my project. the rest told me they could not make the springs for fear I would sue them if something went wrong... Whatever...

Anyway, the shop I found wants to re-arch my springs and add 2 more to the pack to get me a 3" lift in the rear. So, i am thinking it is gonna realllllly stiff with that many springs in it.

I want the lift for off road and bigge tires, but I also carry alot of weight in the truck for work. I do floors and when I put wood in it now, it rides reallllly low.

Is this a good idea to go this route? I dont think shakles will work with the extra weight I carry and I dont want to do a super lift, cuz its too high at 4.5"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe after getting it set up to the height you like you might look into the airbag helper setup, just add air for carrying weight, and let it out for off roading,

I was wondering about the airbags... I just read alot of info on here saying not to do it...

I read about the re-arching too, that they would go back down. Would the add a leafs stop that from happening?

not airbags, air helpers. there are the airbag type thatfit between the leaf an the frame, maybe thats what you mean, but there are also load leveling shocks that hold air in the shock... I used them to lift my ex 1.5" till I can get under it one day and swap the springs and do a full SOA

From experience, I have had my leafs re-arched twice now, added another leaf, and still have to add another. It all depends on how hard you flex it when wheeling it. If your real hard on it, they will lose the arching fast. I can get it done really cheap, so I don't mind taking it in when needed, but if your not willing to do that, I suggest just coughing up the $$ for a new set of lifted springs from Superlift, Deaver, etc...

Adding two more leafs with more arc in them will help. The stock springs will not hold the rearc very long. When the spring shop adds leafs to the pack they add thinner leafs with more arc so it will not be stiffer but it will be progressive

This is exactly what I have in my X I got F150 springs arched 2" with an add a leaf and just under normal driving they were back to normal within a year or so. I now just have home made shackles that look and work way better. But I do like the f150 springs its a little rougher ride but when u load up the X she sits nice and high just like there is nothing in it.

The f-150 springs have a better spring rate for any other than normal street driving on an Explorer. I ran them for a year and refreshed them twice. Got 15 inches of travel with stock shackles out of that pack.

Back