OK, I let the smoke out, I think it's game over... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, I let the smoke out, I think it's game over...

mikeinri

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
Today is a sad day...

Driving my 94 to work today. This truck has 280,000 miles, and runs very well.

The heater fan isn't working. You turn it up high, and just hear a humming sound. I think mice may have made a home some place they shouldn't have.

I'm driving along, tried the fan, nothing. Kept driving (the HVAC switch was on panel), smelled a burning smell. Suddenly, smoke starts pouring out of the vent just above the radio!!!

I pull over and pop the hood, nothing is on fire. There's no more smoke coming out of the vent. I kept going and made it to work (another 15 minute drive) with no problems.

What the hell happened?????????

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe the resistor and or the blower motor burned out or maybe the control switch behind the dash shorted out ...good thing no fire ! did it smell like burning pc board ? ,hey don't feel bad just 2 days ago i was in the mountains takeing a drive and the heater core blew ,lucky for me it dumpped out the truck body but driveing had to keep the windows down to keep from fogging .got home and fixed it witha new one and 30 minutes of time .

You either burned up the resistor, or the fan.

Replace them both with JY parts if you are on a budget. If not, just buy new ones.

Ryan

Same thing happened to me a month ago with the 91. Jumped out with extinguisher in hand...no fire. Hasn't happened again and fan still works.

There was a bunch of leaves in mine that the resistor caught fire and the same thing happened.

I'll have to do some searching tonight, hopefully there's some pics here on how to get the dash out, find the resistor, etc.

Thanks guys.

Mike

the resistors is next to the fan under the hood next to the fan motor.

i had a burning smell... but no smoke. took out the resistor and cleaned out all the leaves, and haven't had a problem since.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228407

a friend of mine has a '97 explorer, and the fan stopped blowing (just hummed). like you were saying, it looked like an animal took up residence under the hood... so the blower motor and fan were all clogged with debris. in that case, removing all the junk out of there and replacing the blower motor solved that problem.

good luck!

Im not sure about a screen when mine went i just pulled the blower motor and scooped out as much as i could then replaced the resistor.

No one is replying to my message in the HVAC section, does anyone here know where the air is getting into the blower?

I would like to think there's some sort of screen (or one can be added) to keep out leaves, critters, etc.

Mike

Air is sucked into the cowl on the passenger side. Usually stuff does not get in there unless brought in by animals. Seized or jammed blower motor will burn up the resistor, because it needs airflow for cooling and the motor draws much more current when it is not turning. (so it overheats and burns) Take out the motor and resistor, you should have no problem replacing them. Replace the resistor if it looks AT ALL damaged or overheated, it will only get worse.

Thanks. I took a look today, still can't see where the air is supposed to get in, or where a mouse could get in to bring in stuff to make a nest.

When you say "cowl" exactly what part are you referring to?

Mike

The cowl is the strip below the windshield, where the wipers stick out of that has all those little holes in it. It sucks the air in through part of the holes that are on the passenger side.

Have you removed the fan yet to see if there is anything jammed in there? There might not be anything, it could just be that the fan motor seized...

Thanks Ted.

I currently have "bigger" problems. No brakes, lines rusted through. Not sure that I want to spend any time on the heater until I figure out my next move overall with this thing...

Mike

It might be worse than that. Read my other thread...

Mike

Back