OK shop tells me i need 4 new ball joints are these parts correct | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK shop tells me i need 4 new ball joints are these parts correct

ccarnahan0717

Reaction score
City, State
old bridge nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
ok so im on rockauto.com and want to get upgraded ball joints and understand you need a new control arm for the left and right upper i decided to go with moog can anyone confirm these will def work so im not buying the wrong parts

2001 FORD EXPLORER SPORT 4.0L 245cid V6 FI (E)
Suspension : Ball Joint
(2)MOOG Part # K8695T
Frt Susp; Lower; Problem Solver
$32.79 $0.00 $65.58
Suspension : Control Arm
MOOG Part # K8710T {Control Arm w/Ball Joint}
Frt Susp; Upper; RH; Problem Solver; part of 2 piece design arm with ball joint
$92.79 $0.00 $92.79
MOOG Part # K8708T {Control Arm w/Ball Joint}
Frt Susp; Upper; LH; Problem Solver; Incl. bushings

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

don't mean to jack your thread but can you tell me what kind of problems you were noticing that made you take it in? I think mines in need of this fix up as well

basically a load squeak during every bump coming from the front end section had my gf push on the trucksideways to pinpoint where the sound was coming from low and behold ball joints :) shop wants 1200 to fix all four i just found all the parts for 258 shipped now gonna look for an honest mechanic to install them just need to make sure these parts are correct anyone?

bump bump anyone please need to order these asap

Yep, looks that way to me. You have 2 lowers, 1 right hand upper and one left hand upper. What more could a guy want?

Balljoints/upper control arms aren't all that difficult to replace, with the right tools. You can "borrow" them from most auto parts stores.
Im sure theres an excelent write-up with pics on here somewhere.

_________________________________________________________________________________

PS: Might wanna check your front sway bar bushings and the links. Those things squeak like a **** when they are dying.

thanks alot bro about to order now.. ok will check those.. how many hours labor you think im looking at one guy wanted to charge me 1200 needless to say i didnt get it one there and about to buy parts myself then find someone to do it never really changed anything besides my brakes and intake lol not sure if i could take on the ball joints

Like I said earlier, theres a good "how-to" thread on this forum with awsome pics. A step-by-step. If you can read and follow directions, you can do it. Heres the uppers.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194453&highlight=ball+joints&page=2

The lowers:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188225

VERY clear, concise step-by-step directions. MountaineerGreen must be OCC when he does write ups. Excellent job!

If you still insist on having a mechanic do this, I would say any qualified mechanic could bang all of them out in 2 hours, maybe 3 with coffee and smoke breaks. Then you will need a front end alignment.

Back