OK, So What Do You DISLIKE About The 5th Gen? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OK, So What Do You DISLIKE About The 5th Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The weight of the tank/contents itself is only one piece in the overall puzzle to reduce vehicle weight. That is likely also one reason that you are driving around with an aluminum hood. Throw all these small weight reductions together and you will find that it probably adds up to a significant number. Also by adding more HP to the engine, you might also reduce the MPG the vehicle can attain.
There are other members that also brought this up when this 'new' Explorer came out 3+ years ago, so you are not alone in your wish for a larger tank. My MKT has the same capacity tank as well.

Peter

BTW, just found out that Ford Fusion has 66.2l fuel tank!
Explorer was totally overlooked here!

Global open/close windows is nice to have. Have it on my MKT.

Peter

Yesterday, Ford technician and I looked thru all the options (several times) available to be changed in Explorer while connected over OBD2 using Ford's software. Didn't find global/open close feature at all. That sucks!

A roof rack with a stupid antenna perfectly place to make the roof rack useless. Good job guys.

I have not read ALL the posts here, and this may have been brought up - I have a 2012 Ltd which we are very happy with - I had an x5 before this - but there is NO COVER for the third row power seat switches, so if you pack the rear full, chances are something will hit one or both of the seat fold/stow/unfold switches and the d_mn thing will burn itself out trying to move the seats. At least have a cover or a DISABLE switch for Pete's sake. You can't even tape a cover Onto the plastic interior as it just slips off, and duct tape will leave a mess. I mean seriously...
Oh, and these too...
- Armrests too low to be useful
- Lower center seat design aggravates sciatica nerve
- Headlights ARE dim
- Ford Synch by Microsoft needs to be replaced with Carplay by Apple
- What is up with the 2" inches of roll after you put the car in park ?
- Better gas mileage please, or post the correct expected mileage
- Finicky driver side exterior access control panel
- Channels for cables coming out of the under the dash center console bin when lid closed.
- cover for nav system SD card slot
- stop price gouging on the friggin climate control seat air filters and replacement labor costs. It's a three dollar part, and a 2 minute fix. That BS alone is enough to make me abandon Ford and go back to BMW.

PSA's
- we got the full set of Hexamat floor mats and they are KILLER !
- definitely get the remote start option

Hope this is helpful

-The third row switch issue has been brought up before and some members have even made covers for them. There are threads on this.
-The MFT/SYNC is apparently going to be replaced with Blackberry's QNX system. This is discussed in threads in the IVT sub forum.
-I believe later models do have an access for cables for the multi media compartment. See post 151, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327367
-many members have opted to get either Husky or WeatherTech 'Liners' in place of floor mats since they offer more protection. There are several threads on these.

Peter

This is my 5th Explorer, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and now 2014. All have been XLTs. Seemingly from then to now lots of stuff has changed. The 2004 was the most off road worthy, and had a split tailgate, not just an opening window. Then Ford went to the opening window, now just a solid tailgate. Very annoying.

The seat position sucks! I'm 6'2 with fairly long arms and I can't get close enough to use the drive-up banking or the toll booths without hiking myself up in the seat moving way left. No way to rest your arm on the sill, and I have the seat up as high as it goes.

No true 4WD, not enough ground clearance, low air dam.

No option to eliminate the 3rd row seats. Not everyone needs or wants these things and it would give a lot more storage space.

Windows too high to see well, this goes along with the low seat position.

Otherwise, I'm OK with it.

DRL's

One thing I really want is the windows up and down via the fob. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Thanks

I have moved your post to this thread. See post 163 above for your answer.

Peter

Why is everybody talking about 2014's?

When the topic is on 2015's? 5th gen...

Ill add on some issues i will find when i got my 2015 ex sport..

For now ill just read comments..

Why is everybody talking about 2014's?

When the topic is on 2015's? 5th gen...

Ill add on some issues i will find when i got my 2015 ex sport..

For now ill just read comments..

You do realize 5th gen Ex's start at 2011, right?

One thing I really want is the windows up and down via the fob. Has anyone found a way to do this?

Thanks

I've seen this for another vehicle of mine by way of an aftermarket add-in. It was a module that you plugged in to the wiring harness in the driver-side door. When it received 3 unlock pulses it would lower all windows. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Haven't seen anything similar for Ford... yet.

I dislike that this generation Explorer looks so much like a mini-van. More like a cross between an SUV and a mini-van.

I had an x5 before this...
- stop price gouging on the friggin climate control seat air filters and replacement labor costs. It's a three dollar part, and a 2 minute fix. That BS alone is enough to make me abandon Ford and go back to a BMW

You are kidding, right?

BMW is one of the worst makes as far as gouging on service. I own one-love the car BMW is plain loopy when it comes to their service rates and parts pricing.

You are kidding, right?

BMW is one of the worst makes as far as gouging on service. I own one-love the car BMW is plain loopy when it comes to their service rates and parts pricing.

Not at All - everything is covered under the warranty period. After that expires, I go to Sears for the normal wear and tear stuff, and anything more sophisticated, I go to a local BWW shop with better rates and cheaper parts pricing...and even then, you have to watch the local shops too...

I mean, who in their right mind would back to the dealer for out of warranty repair ? You are going to get killed no matter who the dealer is. I had an X5, and now have a 330 ci convertible.

In my opinion, a dealer is good for three things - buying the car, fixing it under warranty, and I am still working on the third thing.

All that being said, this is just my opinion - right or wrong - based on my experiences. Others may have had a different experience, and different opinions as a result. Actual results may vary...

I went from a 2009 Hyundai Genesis 4.6 Tech Package to a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport... I love the Explorer! I miss a few things that the Genny had that this one doesn't, but for the most part... I haven't looked back!

I didn't really have any issues with Genny... Fingers crossed for the same with Ford.

MFT is garbage. The audio is garbage. Is it going to the Blackberry software anytime soon? I just bought a 2015 XLT and the audio is embarrassingly awful. It doesn't even have an EQ. It sounds like crap. The navigation is horrible too I wish it used Garmin instead.

MFT is garbage. The audio is garbage. Is it going to the Blackberry software anytime soon? I just bought a 2015 XLT and the audio is embarrassingly awful. It doesn't even have an EQ. It sounds like crap. The navigation is horrible too I wish it used Garmin instead.

If everything is garbage why did you buy it in the first place?!
Sell it and find something what is not garbage!!!

Sound is totally fine for a economy class car, there is an EQ, even though its just treble/med/bass.
Navigation is not perfect but totally acceptable, keep in mind everything is integrated and no additional wires and screens

If everything is garbage why did you buy it in the first place?!
Sell it and find something what is not garbage!!!

Sound is totally fine for a economy class car, there is an EQ, even though its just treble/med/bass.
Navigation is not perfect but totally acceptable, keep in mind everything is integrated and no additional wires and screens

I bought it because I thought $45k would provide a decent entertainment center. I bought a 2015 Subaru Legacy the same day. The entertainment center is FAR more useful, and sounds 100 times better. I have no gripes about the vehicle in general. Its pretty easy to see that the software sucks though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh let me count the ways!

This is my 3rd Explorer. I had an 2002? Explorer Sport, 2005 Explorer (loved it even though I had a TON of troubles the last being transmission went out at the dealership leading me to my current 2012). I have a lot of same concerns others have but to sum it up - it's not my old Explorer. ;)

- WAY too low ground clearance
- Feels like a minivan
- No place to comfortably rest left foot on drivers side
- Not enough driver's leg room
- MYFT gives me pure road rage when it cannot understand my voice commands (which is most of the time)
- Auto windshield wipers randomly turn on (1 single wipe) on a perfectly sunny no water in sight day
- Angle of Approach / Departure is awful - very difficult to park
- Seat is just plain weirdly low - cannot sit comfortably and reach out window to mailbox, ATM, etc.
- Backup camera issues
- 3rd row power seat works only intermittently (currently LH side won't move)

For what it's worth there are some good things - shoulder / hip room for drive, heated seats, ipod connection, bluetooth, etc.

Back