OME rear springs | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OME rear springs

Tom, Paul,
I'll tell you where the OME's really excell, and that is on washboard roads. They just float over them. I was doing 45 over one of these roads and didn't once get that feeling that the rear was going to swingout from around me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just finished putting on my shocks. Well actually put the shocks on then went across the street to start framing my neighbour's garage. Anyway, what a difference from my old worn out shocks. Tomorrow I will take it for a longer drive and see how it feels. There is a really bumpy road just a couple of blocks away.

I think that the rear may level out a bit after I drive it a little more. I noticed today that it did settle a bit.

I ended up lengthening my driveshaft by 4". It always worked fine with the stock driveshaft before but it was too short. I also needed a new flange at the transfer case end (the result of a careless u-joint installation). Now with all of the spline inside the slip joint the chances of twisting the shaft are greatly reduced.

Hey all,

I have a quick question , I received the OME springs and ordered the factory bushings for them, If I remenber correctly that is what I should be installing in them and not the ploy bushings?(correct) One more question is it possible to install the bushings without a press?

Thanks,
Alan
98 Xplorer

Alan,
Stock is what they recommend, but not absolutly nesseccary.
As far as the press is concerned, it would be a whole lot easier to take it to a machine shop and have them press them in. I don't remember how much, but it was under 10 bucks.

I picked up my springs form the 4x4 shop and went directly to a local spring shop and had them press in new bushings. At first they were going to use the replacement bushings but they were too small. They went though the bins of bushings and eventually found some that would work. I left it with them and went for about a 1/2 hour lunch and when I came back they were all ready to go. Total cost for the four bushings around $34 including tax and no charge for installation. Well worth it if you ask me.

Paul,
You must have a good spring shop there. I got a Ricks old set of OME springs but managed to somehow leave 1/2 of a bushing in Pheonix. I brought the springs to two spring shops in town (the only 2.. and that are supposed to be good) and they couldn't find any bushing that would fit. Once I found out the bushings are from a 1996ish Explorer I went back to them.. and they still didn't have bushings..

Then I called the two Ford dealers in town.. 3 days and either one of them could have a bushing for me..

I think I need to move to a place with more/better shops..

Mark

Alan, if you haven't done so already, I recommend getting them pressed in by a shop. I did it myself, and it was a pain. Hammering took too long, I ended up using the vise with a cheater bar on the handle to get enough torque to press them in.

Back