On board mileage computer

mfitz725

03 EB 4x4 4.6l making it thru in NC
Reaction score
City, State
Albemarle NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4x4
Does anyone know if the wiring is present to hook up the gas mileage/miles to empty display in an Ex that didn't come with one? My Limited's transmission went out and don't think I'm gonna spend the 3k asking replacement cost.(don't have the facilitiestto do it myself.). Looking for a replacement Ex but can only find those with trim levels that didn't include that display. Didn't know if I could move mine into one of those.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the wiring is present to hook up the gas mileage/miles to empty display in an Ex that didn't come with one? My Limited's transmission went out and don't think I'm gonna spend the 3k asking replacement cost.(don't have the facilitiestto do it myself.). Looking for a replacement Ex but can only find those with trim levels that didn't include that display. Didn't know if I could move mine into one of those.

PM @vroomzoomboom. He's done this, but as his fuel tank was smaller than the donor vehicle's his fuel related functions did not work correctly. For other functions, even if the wiring is there the sensors are not (and I don't believe the wiring is there).

there is no wiring for a message center if the truck didnt come with it from factory, and i will say this, its a hell of a lot of wiring to do. even more if you are a novice at it like i am.
if you are wanting to put one in however you will need a message center (you might even need one from the same year of truck your putting it into) the pig tails that plug into it, the washer fluid sensor, and if you want to put it in, the oil level sensor from the oil pan (i didnt put it in so i just get a error message on the screen for it). if i remember correctly it took me around 6 hours to do the wiring, and you have to get to the cluster harness, and pcm harness as well as run some new wires both under the hood, and in the dash.
at one point my fuel average worked pretty dead on, but now that i have a way bigger motor and injectors as well as a custom tune, that function is no longer correct, as well as koda mentioned with my truck being a sport it has a smaller tank then the 4 door trucks had. 4 door trucks also had 2 different tank sizes but you can fool the message center to know what size of tank you have.
here are the links that i used when i put a message center into my truck. hopefully all the info is still in them because they are old links and i dont think the members who wrote them are no longer active

DIY:Message Center Installation

How to Install a Message Center

Message center installed!!! With WRITE UP and PICTURES!!!

PM @vroomzoomboom. He's done this, but as his fuel tank was smaller than the donor vehicle's his fuel related functions did not work correctly. For other functions, even if the wiring is there the sensors are not (and I don't believe the wiring is there).

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't even think about functions beyond mileage and fuel economy.

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to find anything as the asking price for Ex's are ridiculous. (2800 for a '96 with 200k on the clock or $800+ on a 2000 or newer with a bad transmission or engine) I bought my 99 Limited about 3 years ago for $2200 with 160k on it. I'm really disappointed because I've been in an Ex since 98 (a 94 and the 99 I currently have) and it is immensely suited to my needs. Having limited resources at this time there just doesn't seem to be anything out there I can get into.

While I'm here I would like to mention that you, Koda, and a couple other members have been invalubly helpful to me over the years I have been a member.

In my current situation I don't think there's a rabbit in the hat to pull out! Im not completely discouraged yet though.

there is no wiring for a message center if the truck didnt come with it from factory, and i will say this, its a hell of a lot of wiring to do. even more if you are a novice at it like i am.
if you are wanting to put one in however you will need a message center (you might even need one from the same year of truck your putting it into) the pig tails that plug into it, the washer fluid sensor, and if you want to put it in, the oil level sensor from the oil pan (i didnt put it in so i just get a error message on the screen for it). if i remember correctly it took me around 6 hours to do the wiring, and you have to get to the cluster harness, and pcm harness as well as run some new wires both under the hood, and in the dash.
at one point my fuel average worked pretty dead on, but now that i have a way bigger motor and injectors as well as a custom tune, that function is no longer correct, as well as koda mentioned with my truck being a sport it has a smaller tank then the 4 door trucks had. 4 door trucks also had 2 different tank sizes but you can fool the message center to know what size of tank you have.
here are the links that i used when i put a message center into my truck. hopefully all the info is still in them because they are old links and i dont think the members who wrote them are no longer active

DIY:Message Center Installation

How to Install a Message Center

Message center installed!!! With WRITE UP and PICTURES!!!

Thanks for pointing out things I hadn't considered. (see my response to Koda above for more appreciation to you and others on this forum)

Back