• Register Today It's free!

Once again.

sploder92

Reaction score
City, State
boonies, indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT X, 93 ranger
:confused: OK, I know I have asked already and people have speculated over the years, but:

Does anyone have any experience putting an Aerostar trannsmission in a 4WD Xplorer? :D
The Aerostar is a 2WD '89, my Ex is a 4WD '92, both automatics. Does anyone know of someone who has done this?

Yes I know I will have to change the tailshaft housing.

Is there anything else someone may KNOW I have to change?

I've searched the sites and have come to no real conclusion. :eek:

I have not taken them out to compare them yet, I know the Aerostar has a weaker tranny, I'm only going to use it while I rebuild my original A4LD and I will only drive the Ex as a spare vehicle, until I can devote some serious time for (fun 4x4 mods like bullitt-proof A4LD, lift, custom bumpers by me, duals, etc.)

Sorry to ask again, its been 8 months since I asked last time. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

anyone? :(

bump :eek:

anyone? :(

I thought they were both A4LD's. Ask Chris(Glacier), if they are similar, maybe you should build the Aerostar trans. Good luck,

yep, gonna try it

Thanks CDW6212R. Yes they are both A4LDs. I actually knew that much. :cool:

OK, so I bought the P.O.S. Aerostar and it drives great and shifts great. I will let all know if it goes in good.. I still have to finish putting my engine back together. I actually got a set of 93TM heads off an Aerostar engine someone was selling on ebay for only $160 delivered. They were in remarkable shape. :D

That's two Aerostars parted out to fix my one Explorer, sounds worth it to me. :eek:

The Aerostar tranny donor was wrecked and rusted out, bad brakes, exhaust, suspension, etc., so don't tell me I'm ruinung a good van. I know they are good vans, but nobody in their right mind would drive this van anywhere but the junkyard. :D

Back