One crazy night in the snow! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One crazy night in the snow!

Isn't really a whoops.. it kinda is.. idk.. I just wanna tell ya'll about my crazy night..

A buddy of mine just got a 1991 Explorer with the OHV v6, Manual.. it's got a custom paint job on it.. looks like spray paint.. it's nicely done.. but the weather has taken it's toll and it looks like a mosaic thing all over the body.. looks kinda cool.. it's a bit flaky in a few places.. the windshield visor I like though.. with the amber lights up top... AND he's got a sunroof.. I'm jealous..

Anyways...
We went out to go mess around.. Did a little light off-roading.. lit some fireworks... raced around, n drifted on these two ice tracks we have here.. I was the first to get stuck... we've been having some really windy weather here lately... and I was climbing this one hill I always climb.. I noticed something a little different about it though... a fresh pile of snow on top.. I was like.. hm.. something isn't right.. but I went for it anyways.. got high centered on it... he pulled me off of it... [Man!, You guys were right.. is pays to have a trail buddy with ya.. it's a lot funner too] Then he got stuck later that night.. he went off the track while he was drifting.. [He's pretty damn good at it too] I pulled him out.. he was like.. Let's do some more difficult 4x4 trails.. so we did.. no problems.. n then I saw this area I'm always going through.. pretty deep snow.. 1Ft+ or so.. hard packed.. most of it.... I was like.. Hmm.. lets test out his 4x4 =D..

well.. We started going out there... I got stuck up on where a snowmachine came off a hill n dug in... I kinda pulled myself out of it.. but didn't get too far.. I dug myself so deep.. I hit the gravel n whatnot under all the ice n snow.. I was like.. Damn...

And then.. it happened.. He got stuck behind me a little ways away... man.. it sucked.. he couldn't get out at all.. he tried everything.. low range..ect... I called up a buddy at 5am.. who has a lifted F150 with 38" tires and a 302 in it... He hooked onto the 91 in front and dragged it outta the area like it was nothing... we were having a little trouble with mine though.. He couldn't really find a good area to hook up in front.. I was like.. well.. I got a hitch in the back.. he was like.. On the bumper? Noo.. it's a hidden hitch thing connected to the frame.. he was just like.. Hm... Well.. I guess you're going out backwards... hahaha.. at first he was sliding like crazy n digging in.. so he backed up a little bit.. n Floored it.... man... that was crazy...

The whole night was crazy.. I wish I had my camera... My buddy was like.. lets do this again sometime.. when the snow is lower or it's summer.. I just told him... you gotta pay to play, you can't expect never to get stuck..

I didn't like the 1st Gen Explorers Tooo much before... but now.. Damn.. I know they can hold their own.... Made me kinda happy I made it further though.. =P But then again.. I have a bigger engine, better tires.. a bigger tires... Was fun as hell though..

Just thought it was funny, I get stuck first.. he pulls me out... then he does and I get him out.. n then both of us get stuck n we were just like... ah...crap... hahaha..

Ahh.. I wanna do this again!.. It's soo much funner than being alone.. [which is pretty dumb, I'll admit..]

Anyone else have any crazy winter stories? Any of you have any ice tracks?

I've been through some areas in the snow that I couldn't do in the mud. There was this one little trail, me and two other friends were all going down, and I went first.

So I was going along thinking it was too easy. Then all the sudden -WHAM!- I'd just gone through a hole about a foot deep. So that was cool, no problems.

Anyways, on the way back from this little trail, we were driving down this gravel road, which was covered in snow pack, going way too fast. I was between my two buddies. We were hitting about 30mph, way too fast for this road in the snow. I see my friend in front brake around a corner, and I figured he was just slowing down for it.

So I come around the corner, and then all the sudden, right in front of me, is this little Honda putting along. The road was big enough for the two of us, but he wouldn't move over, since there was unbroken snow on his side. I was just barely hanging on to the edge, as there was a pretty deep ditch. So he wasn't moving, and I wasn't stopping.

At the last second, I cut to the right, bounced through this 1' deep ditch, went about 1' up an embankment on the other side of it, and back through onto the road. I stopped, and immediately got out to make sure my front wheel wasn't falling off. My friend behind me saw all of this, and his first thing he asked was "How did you not flip?" I told him I wasn't sure what just happened, but it was the sickest maneuver I have ever pulled.

Worst part of it all, the guy in the Honda didn't even stop after I'm sure he saw me almost wreck because of him. Had he moved over a little bit, everything would have been fine. Sure, he could've gotten stuck, but we had three 4wd vehicles, and would've pulled him out.

Back